Skip to main content
Topic: 1985 Cougar Speedometer Problem (Read 1232 times) previous topic - next topic

1985 Cougar Speedometer Problem

I just picked up a 1085 cougar in great shape but with a few mechanical problems. The biggest is the LED speedo reads 40 to 60 MPH fast.  At 55mph, speedo reads 108mph.  I feel the speed sensor swith is okay and the problem is in the transmisson. Any help will be appreciated.

Reply #1
not to sound ignorant but, the speedo isnt set on "kph" is it?
why do you feel the speed sensor is good and the trans is the problem, is there something happening with it that you could explain a bit more on?
have you taken it out (the cluster) and looked to see if the PBC leads arent all messed up and deteriorated, or the wires in the back are chewed up?

just throwing out suggestions.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #2
The LED display will not read over 85 mph unless it has been modded.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
Quote from: Haystack;279276
The LED display will not read over 85 mph unless it has been modded.

but it will read beyond 85 k/PH  if the E/M button is selected:D

the ratio provided at 55 still make the math wrong.

Reply #4
Quote from: jcassity;279287
but it will read beyond 85 k/PH  if the E/M button is selected:D

the ratio provided at 55 still make the math wrong.

I didn't have an owner's manual and did not know what the e/m button meant. Know now, thanks. Except English is metric, American is mph

Reply #5
That will happen. What part of ogden are you in? I'm out in west valley city.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
Quote from: bear1952;279167
I just picked up a 1085 cougar in great shape but with a few mechanical problems. The biggest is the LED speedo reads 40 to 60 MPH fast.  At 55mph, speedo reads 108mph.  I feel the speed sensor swith is okay and the problem is in the transmisson. Any help will be appreciated.
you might be displaying metric, push the speedometer button (lower right on panel)

Reply #7
60 MPH = 96 KPH
70 MPH = 112 KPH

1.6 KPH = 1 MPH

And, no the count is NOT limited on the metric readout. I know it will show at least 176 KPH. ;o) And that's with a 3.8L TBI. Watching the 1/10th (100 meters) click off at that speed is pretty amazing. It does not take long to go 100 meters at 176 KPH.

Oh, and by the way, up until recently, the English DID use miles or 'standard' whatever you want to call it, unlike the rest of Europe.  Why do you think it's called ENGLISH measurement?  Funny that, though, because the units of ENGLISH measurement were actually developed by a Frenchman.  Advordupois.  And where, considering the fact we (America) were once an English Colony, do you think our measurement system came from?  England/Great Britain only converted to the metric system in the late 80's or early 90's, to get along with the rest of Europe.
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.