Skip to main content
Topic: What pump gas to run HO motor ? (Read 1700 times) previous topic - next topic

What pump gas to run HO motor ?

What pump gas should i  run on my HO motor? should i just run regular. or Pluse. i only ask because  for a while i ran regular and the car didnt act right. then as a test i whent with super. (btw cheep gas like raceway and gulf seem to work best ) and the car seemed peppy and fule lasted longer so i guessed ok the timing was messed with but then i noticed the gass wasnt lasting long. and driving normal.  i think it's just that in these winter months they mess with the gas to help it burn in the cold. so i got fed up today and put regular back in and im gonna see how it is.
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

Re: What pump gas to run HO motor ?

Reply #1
I have to run premium in my HO 302 or I get detination (spark nock). I also have my base timing set at 13 degrees.factory Base timing of 10 degrees should let you run regular, but of course you'll get more power with a advance in timing. so in that case, mid or premium is the best way to go.

Reply #2
mine runs better with 89 and my timing is like 15* and 89 is cheaper :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
my car runs a million times better with 92 or 93
87 I get little less performance, and get less MPG. Sounds different too. Maybe I'm just imagining.

87: 1.90
92: 2.10

glad my white cougar likes the 87

Reply #4
it all depends on compression ratio and spark timing. higher octane fuel is harder to ignite,  so using it in a completely stock engine likely will do more harm than good. now if you bump your timing up and start to detonate, then you have to use higher octane. that's why I laugh at the hondas who steal the 91 octane stickers and put them on their gas cap covers  :giggle: