Skip to main content
Topic: Heater vents (Read 2261 times) previous topic - next topic

Heater vents

my heater only blows out of the defroster vents on top of the dash it doesnt blow out of anything else.... what could the problem be?

Re: Heater vents

Reply #1
Atc or manual?
If atc you probably have a bad mode door actuator,pull the codes out and see.
If it's manual then the vac modulator might have gone bad,do you here any kind of vac leak?
Also the cable on your slider may have broken or come off.
They always default to defrost with atc.

Reply #2
its atc dominator, im not sure on vac. leak but it worked fine until i installed my radio......aha! i think i just fund the problem thanks dom.

Reply #3
heats only supposed to blow from the windsheild defrosters, floor, or both

a radio install shouldnt mess it up, unless you did something completely haggared up
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #4
heats only supposed to blow from the windsheild defrosters, floor, or both

Not true.  You can make hot air come out of the panel registers as well.  Just turn up the temp and press the "vent" button on the ATC panel. 

Did you figure out the problem BlackJack?
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #5
havent checked, (the big yellow taxi is the only car i ride in) :(

Reply #6
I have the same problem but dont have atc I just have manual. Any ideas on a way to fix it?
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Reply #7
Not sure about ATC, but manual systems control the output with vacuum actuators attached to the flaps, controlled by a sliding multi-port air valve on the back of the heater panel. If you've been working in there (like changing a radio) and dislodged the connector, the valve won't be able to direct the vacuum signal to the proper actuator. You could also have a leaking vacuum line to/from the valve (hear any hissing under the dash?), or a damaged vacuum reservoir (hiding inside the right front fender) or line.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #8
no buzz, i think its a dislodged connector.... or pinched line....or the vacuum resivoir.... i dont know i actually got some gas in the tank today.... soll i check tommarow btw im a dumb a$$ its a manual system it has a slider not ies ;)  so now i know its prolly a vac line.... ill check it