Skip to main content
Topic: Water running inside T-Bird? (Read 2448 times) previous topic - next topic

Water running inside T-Bird?

I know this is not engine/model specific so I won't bore you with my details. When I first start the car and for a few minutes after that I can hear water (or some liquid) running inside the car. I thought it might be a bad heater core, but the heat works fine (or is it going bad?). Any ideas?

Re: Water running inside T-Bird?

Reply #1
You may have some air in the cooling system, perhaps causing the water sound inside the dash.

Reply #2
All I know is that it will eventually drive me nuts!

Here's my baby!

Reply #3
Are you losing any coolant?
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #4
Quote from: Ifixyawata
You may have some air in the cooling system, perhaps causing the water sound inside the dash.

I'd vote for air in the lines as well...
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #5
cut off your ler and bang out your cats....?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
At least you don't actually have liquid running through your bird. My brother has an MN12 Cougar and every time it rains he ends up with a puddle behind the drivers seat.

Reply #7
Quote from: tbirdscott
Are you losing any coolant?

No leaks inside or out, thank God! The majority seems to think it's air in the lines, now to figure out how to get rid of it.

Reply #8
The majority seems to think it's air in the lines
Add me to the list. That's exactly what my 88 sounded like when the water pump was leaking and the coolant got too low. The core is the only coolant-filled part inside the car, so that's where you hear it.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #9
If there's no leakage, see if the coolant recovery system is working right.  It may not have any coolant in the puke can, which would cause it to suck air into the system every time it cools off.

Reply #10
Also, your back wheels are on backwards. :grinno: . In case you are wondering, I am very bored.