Skip to main content
Topic: Manifold swap with a side of heater core failure (Read 2430 times) previous topic - next topic

Manifold swap with a side of heater core failure

I finished installing my new intake manifold, added fresh antifreeze and started the motor. All was well until after letting it run for fifteen minutes, my interior smoked up and a waterfall of antifreeze came down into my interior. I have had some heating problems over the past few months where the air would be really hot the first 15 minutes and then would get cooler and not get hot again until the car sat for a few hours. I was hoping that the thing would last a while since it was replaced about 3 years, 50,000 miles ago. Since I will be doing this for the first time, I hope it is as easy as it appears on Eric's site. It just seems really strange that it happened the moment I changed the manifold. I'm purdy sure I put the heater hoses back on right. :hick: There were only two hoses that connected to the heater pipe on the rear of the lower manifold. I don't think I reversed them. So now I sit with a flooded passenger floor and I haven't been able to test drive it after the manifold swap.

Re: Manifold swap with a side of heater core failure

Reply #1
Heater cores are no fun, It took me about 10 hours to do mine, but that counts warm up time. about 6 hours is all long as it took. It was my first time with the dash actually off and was my first time doing a heater core. I am willing to bet that if you have dropped the steering colum before( I somehow forgot this part) you could prolly get it done in about 3 to 4 hours your first time. It helps to have the right tools in the right places. good luck
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
I've changed mine............twice.I hate doing it,huge pain in the butt.But,if you ask a few repair shops how much it costs,then doing it yourself suddenly doesn't sound so bad.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
I did mine twice also.  First time it took about 15 hours, and the second time it took me about 10 hours.  I am pretty slow though, most could do it faster. There is nothing difficult about it, there is just a lot of items that have to come apart to get at the heater core.  Have fun, Jason.

Reply #4
Although it could be a coincidence, you probably compromised the core when you put the hoses on/off. No biggie; at least the core lasted as long as it did. It took me 9+ hours the first time I replaced my core and 4.25 hours the second time I changed it. I am very slow/thorough. Eric's walkthrough covers everything you need. One thing I would recommend is to install a heater core inlet orifice if your car doesn't already have one. Ford P/N E7VY-18D358-A, also available from PPI. It can't be emphasized enough: don't buy anything but a factory Ford replacement core. The only reason I've changed my heater core twice is because I used an Autozone core the first time.

Reply #5
its better that it failed then, rather than 2 days later, its more frustrating that way
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #6
Thanks for all of the input. I actually had the car together and in running condition at 1 am the day before the core went up. I'm glad I didn't decide to take the car out for a spin and the thing start leaking in the middle of the night on the highway. Luckily I noticed it while I let the car warm up in the driveway the next morning.

But,if you ask a few repair shops how much it costs,then doing it yourself suddenly doesn't sound so bad.

Yeah, thats what let me to do this on my own this time. Last time it was replaced, I only had the car for a couple months, it was snowing, and I didn't have the confidence to try it. It wound up costing around $375.

Although it could be a coincidence, you probably compromised the core when you put the hoses back on.

Hmmm, I was wondering why those inlets moved and made breaking noises. In all seriousness thats probably what did it. I had a fit trying to get the old hoses off and after about 20 minutes of trying, I decided to just cut them off. The new ones went on fairly easy.

don't buy anything but a factory Ford replacement core.

I have one now
We'll see how it goes. I had to work yesterday and am working today and tomorrow so its on for Sunday.

Reply #7
Im Done!!! First time and took around 4 hours! Wooohooo  :grinno:
It really wasn't bad at all. Seemed easy. When I pulled my old core out, I found one inlet flopping around. So yeah, I broke it getting the old hoses off. New parts in and so far so good no leaks.

Reply #8
Way to go :)
I just got asked to do core on 89 stang and blower motor,
I know i em a glutten for punshment