Skip to main content
Topic: Seat Belt retractor on '88 T Bird (Read 1389 times) previous topic - next topic

Seat Belt retractor on '88 T Bird

Hello Group,

My wife keeps asking if I can do anything about the aging seat belt retractor on our '88 Bird. I say "aging" because it acts like I do--it is slowing down with age and will not get up (to start position) on the door pillar.  I checked the travel path for the belt and all that--nothing new apparent there.  I then opened up the side interior panel and looked at the retractor itself--saw nothing I could change or correct.  I hesitated to put any lubricants in place because you sure don't want that stuff turning up on the belt fabric and then on you.  So, I turn to the experts on this forum for any advice.  Maybe age conquers all?  This whole problem started more than 2 years ago when my wife got hit on the door in proximity to the key area and we had that repaired--very minor damage work that involved the panel behind the door as well.  Seems tho that past experience tells me this is an age problem (from my years of using seatbelts).    :brick:

John R

Re: Seat Belt retractor on '88 T Bird

Reply #1
Just change out the seat belt and retractor.easy salvage yard part.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Re: Seat Belt retractor on '88 T Bird

Reply #2
Yes, it is an age issue. My guess is the coil spring inside is losing tension. Oddly enough, vinnietbird is right---replacing them with boneyard pieces is usually the best solution. Remember that not everyone uses seat belts regularly, or correctly, so you may just luck out. There is also the possibility that hot rod shops can redo our belts and mechanisms. You can sort of use Mustang belts but they're not direct fits (modifications necessary). Mark VII's have direct-fit belts and recepticles too.