Skip to main content
Topic: Boost went bye-bye - ALL FIXED (Read 1527 times) previous topic - next topic

Boost went bye-bye - ALL FIXED

So yesterday when I left work, I had plenty of boost (10 with an occasional 14). Also had boost when getting on the highway. I took the exit for home, maybe 8 miles. When I accelerated away from the traffic light, NO boost at all. No smoke, no noise. I popped the hood when I got home and found a loose vacuum hose but not on the turbo or controller. The rod for the internal wastegate was still connected. I'm thinking (uh oh dangerous doing that) that the electronic boost control went on a permanent vacation. Thoughts?

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #1
If I recall correctly, you can bypass it just for a test. Some people leave it bypassed for more boost, but I like the safety of having it there.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #2
Thanks. I'll give it a try after work today.  On another note, I was thinking that the autos were limited to around 10 lbs. Mine would hit close to 15 and waver to between that and 10 lbs.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #3
Nah, my 85 is an auto, and I get in the teens with the stock boost controller.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #4
Quote from: CoogarXR;446679
Nah, my 85 is an auto, and I get in the teens with the stock boost controller.

Ah ok.

I got boost again!!:burnout: Apparently I was feeling the wrong part from above on the wastegate. I bypassed the boost controller, still nothing. So I jacked up the car and looked up and waa laa, the rod from the diaphram was had come unhooked from the pin on the wastegate arm. BOOST :ies:  Although I am going to get a manual controller. I kinda like seeing 15+ lbs. I'm also going to get a fmic and rotate the upper. As $$ permits, I gather parts to build the engine to take more boost. First major thing the wife wants done is the 5spd comversion. She just loves to row those gears :mullet:
[/FONT][/SIZE]

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]