Skip to main content
Topic: How Late of A Build Is My Car (Read 5057 times) previous topic - next topic

How Late of A Build Is My Car

I was looking at the Door Tag on my car and noticed it was a late build car.  Can anyone tell me what sequence number it might be?

X

Reply #1
118978?  That doesn't make sense though if there was less than 114,000 made that year.

http://www.coolcats.net/library/vincode.html
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #2
First of all...I am impressed with the shape of both your car and your door sticker. Impressing me is not easy, so take that at face value. ;)

Not every VIN is fulfilled...there are always sequence gaps. But it is over 100,000. I cannot remember if there was August 1988 production or not...it was possible.
If you get a Ford 999 report, you'd know a little more.

Reply #3
That IS interesting. Will you post pics of the rest of the car? Looks like a pretty nice machine. :)

Mine:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #5
Quote from: EricCoolCats;420508
First of all...I am impressed with the shape of both your car and your door sticker. Impressing me is not easy, so take that at face value. ;)

Not every VIN is fulfilled...there are always sequence gaps. But it is over 100,000. I cannot remember if there was August 1988 production or not...it was possible.
If you get a Ford 999 report, you'd know a little more.

How do I obtain a Ford 999 report?

Reply #6
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;420509
That IS interesting. Will you post pics of the rest of the car? Looks like a pretty nice machine. :)

Here's a couple more pics.

XXX

Reply #7
wow , great looking cougar...............really like that color!!!
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #8
Quote from: Chooglin;420536
wow , great looking cougar...............really like that color!!!

Funny story with that.  My Dad, who bought it new, was absolutely hooked on the Cinnabar color, maybe because it was only made that year.  He looked all over New York for one, and he also wanted the V8 with the digital dash.  After much searching, it so happened that the local dealer ended up getting one delivered, so he bought it.  Guess it was meant to be! :o

Reply #9
Great car, great story. Hopefully it'll stay in your ownership for a long long time. :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #10
ok i got one for ya. i know theres a code on the door tag to tell where it was sold origionally. Graham was the one who found it i think and i would like to find it since i am looking at a 87 tc tomorrow.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #11
It's the DSO (District Sales Office) number.
On 6hayden9's Cougar it is 35. This is not shown in my 84 dospoogeentation.
On thundersport302's T-Bird it's 28. This is Louisville in my 84 dospoogeentation.

84 Shop manual:

Reply #12
Interesting... Power recliners, but manual HVAC. Not sure about production sequence #'s, but I do know that August was the cutoff for Fords. I had a '03 Ranger that was built 09/02, (I was even able to find out that it was made the first week of Sept).
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #13
ok the bird i looked at has 2 codes that are odd. the dso code is 13 and it is not listed in the above pic. and the axle code is a k and its not listed on the cool cats site. so now i know the car was built in the ohio plan so i would venture to say its been a northern car all its life. But it has been cared for very well. ok found a sire where the dso code is listed and im sure this will help others. mine was sold in ny. http://www.sspmustang.org/technical/DSO_data.htm
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #14
720929 was supposedly last VIN issued for a 1988 Cougar built at Lorain...