Skip to main content
Topic: Help! I need a tranny and have ?'s (Read 3417 times) previous topic - next topic

Help! I need a tranny and have ?'s

Reply #15
Anybody that says the 4cyl T5 can live behind a V8 will not get my business.
The gearing just isn't conducive to a long life behind a V8, not to mention first gear's vitually useless, and the overdrive ratio will kill the milage behind a V8.
Sort of like the guy on Omaha's craigslist who bought an 84 SVO and did a 351 swap to it. Kept saying in his for sale ad that the SVO T5 was stronger than the V8!? WTF, some people are just ignorant.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #16
this is why i don't want to use my t-5 that i already have in the car.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #17
Quote from: jangus;334578
Graham,

How soon are you needing one. I've got several, but I won't be passing by your area until Thanksgiving.

John

John, it might last that long and it might not.  guess we can see :D  how much would you need for one or two?

Reply #18
I'd only be willing to let go of one. I do like to keep spares handy for myself. I'll pm you a price. If worse comes to worse and your trans takes a complete dump before thanksgiving, I could deliver for gas money. T5's fit quite nicely in the trunk of the TC.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.

Reply #19
Graham, there's an ole boy up in Kansas City that rebuilds T5's...always has an ad on CL....I think I've even got his # if you want me to text it...?

Ahh, here is his ad. LINK.

You're welcome old pal. ;):D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #20
Jesus, add $200 to what he charges to rebuild yours and you could buy a brand new one.

Reply #22
That is Dans T5 shop he is one of the best here in the KC area and there are several people that I know that are running his rebuilt t5's that run in the 10's and 11's. He is pricy but the parts that he puts into his rebuilds are far better than what a stock new T5 would be

Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;334697
Graham, there's an ole boy up in Kansas City that rebuilds T5's...always has an ad on CL....I think I've even got his # if you want me to text it...?

Ahh, here is his ad. LINK.

You're welcome old pal. ;):D
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #24
Quote from: bigbada1;336323
That is Dans T5 shop he is one of the best here in the KC area and there are several people that I know that are running his rebuilt t5's that run in the 10's and 11's. He is pricy but the parts that he puts into his rebuilds are far better than what a stock new T5 would be

I can pick up a T-5Z for $1300, brand spankin new. Throw in $150 for shipping and your still only looking at $1450. And there are no used parts in it. NONE.
His ad says he runs an 068 gear set in his transmissions. Go ask him what he wants to build one with the 070 Zspec aftermarket gear set, and also convert the main shaft to a cobra style pocket bearing. Both of these come standard on the T-5Z.
I'm not saying he can't rebuild a T-5, as obviously he can. I'm just saying there are more economically viable alternatives to his high performance rebuilds.

Reply #25
There's also the option of doing it yourself...guy here on the forum sells the videos..."badshoe".

Mine needs rebuilt...hmmm, winter project I think.
Table in the basp00get, heat, and the satisfaction of doing it myself=win.

nothing like a 500 dollar car with 5 grand' worth of parts dumped in. :hick:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #26
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;336361
There's also the option of doing it yourself...guy here on the forum sells the videos..."badshoe".

Mine needs rebuilt...hmmm, winter project I think.
Table in the basp00get, heat, and the satisfaction of doing it myself=win.

nothing like a 500 dollar car with 5 grand' worth of parts dumped in. :hick:

that $500 car is what I'm stuck driving :punchballs:

Reply #27
Quote from: 88turbo;336370
that $500 car is what I'm stuck driving :punchballs:

Errr, I was referring to my sport lol ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #29
Does the "T" in T-5 stand for "TURD".  LOL i cant help it.
1987 T-bird SportCoupe,302,5spd,8.8,3.27s,pbr brakes,spindles,2003 rear,18inch 06 gt rims!!!!:evilgrin:
2006 Gt Mustang,3v,5spd,8.8,3.55s,GT500rims.
1990 T-bird LX,3.8,aod,loaded,stock!!
1999 Trailblazer(wifes rig)