Skip to main content
Topic: what are the things circled in the pics? (Read 894 times) previous topic - next topic

what are the things circled in the pics?

Ok here are a few pics i took of my engine bay and ic. What are the things that are circled? The one with the 2 hose ends cirlcled go to the piece circled on the ic. Also, i want to add a bov but do not know where to put it or how to go about it or what kind to get. Plz let me know.
The one in the first pic allmost looks like a starter solonoid, but a little different. Has a 2 ports for hoses that someone has just looped back to itself, and has and electrical connector.

ok here are the pics

Reply #1
The first picture is the boost control solenoid. Disconnect it, and remove it.

Second one is the vacuum generating nipple for the cruise control.

In the third picture, you circled a line that goes to the fitting on the intercooler, and then the line from the turbo inlet that you have circled goes to the other nipple on the fitting on the intercooler.

Unless you use cruise control on hilly roads, all of the cruise control stuff isn't needed. I removed and plugged the fittings, capped the nipple on the turbo inlet, and removed the line up by the vacuum manifold and capped it. The purpose of that setup is so that the cruise control still gets vacuum while under boost.

Also, what is that relay for right by your boost controller for?

Looks like you have yourself a mess under the hood ;)
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #2
Quote from: Tbird232ci;210634

Also, what is that relay for right by your boost controller for?

Looks like you have yourself a mess under the hood ;)

the relay is for the switch to turn on the high speed fan when sitting in traffic in our 100 degree heat.

Reply #3
to the best of my knowledge that hose coming off the turbo inlet should run to the waste gate actuator or boost control selinoid. it looks like in your pics that they have ran the adjustable boost controller hose from the vac tree.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #4
I believe if you unhook the electrical connector on the BCS youll get a check engine or check turbo. I just left it plugged in and cut the vac lines off it.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #5
Quote from: bhazard;210798
I believe if you unhook the electrical connector on the BCS youll get a check engine or check turbo. I just left it plugged in and cut the vac lines off it.

You get a code stored in memory, but no light. Mine hasn't been connected since I've owned the car.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #6
Well in that case that thing is heading for the trash can!
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles