Skip to main content
Topic: my other rides (Read 4282 times) previous topic - next topic

my other rides

This new section is cool!  Here are my rides;

1.) This is my '72 Chevelle.  My Dad bought it in the mid-70's wrecked as a orange Malibu.  He installed a '72 SS doghouse and had it painted black w/cragar SS wheels.  He drove it sparingly and actually let it sit most of my life.  I got it road worthy when I was in high school (somewhere around '99/'00) and drove it here and there until '05 or '06.  It has somewhere around 68000 original miles on it.  It always ran great but the last couple of years it was needing the valves done, carb rebuilt, and a disk brake conversion.  I quit tinkering with it when I got married and the car has been sitting since then. 

2.) '73 Ford F-250 "highboy" project.  Bought this off a buddy to tinker around on.  It has the original blown-up 360, np435 granny low 4 speed, and factory A/C.  I plan to put a '79 doghouse on it, fix the rust in the floor boards, and rebuild the motor.  I want to do as much of the work as possible (learn body work, engine build, etc).  I don't plan on this being a show truck, just something that looks and runs decent for bombing around in.  Our farm truck when I was growing up was a '78 F-250 so I've always wanted one of these for nostalgia reasons.

3.) Wife's '14 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.  I thought these were uglier than hell when they came out!  Once I test drove one though, I was very impressed.  We love it so far even if it isn't a "real jeep".

4.) My '07 Mustang GT 5 speed...bought this new in 2007.  Its got a Hurst shifter, Pypes lers, Steeda 90mm CAI, and a Diablosport 93 octane tune in it.  I've taken it on several Power Tours but honestly don't drive the thing much anymore.  With two kids its impossible to take anywhere as a family.  Combine that with the fact that I work 6 days a week in the nice months and this thing has practically been mothballed (it has 19xxx miles, lol). 

I really ought to sell it but I just keep telling myself I'll drive it more when the kids get older.  It really is a fun car to drive, its no coyote by any means but will move out pretty good with the mild bolt-on's I've done.

5.) my DD - 2010 Silverado z71 w/5.3.  I've added a readylift 2.5" leveling kit w/rear blocks and 33" Nitto Trail grapplers on 18" XD Addict wheels.  It also has dual exhaust with some tiny lers that are loud as hell, lol.  This also has a Diablosport programmer...I bought it so I could deactivate that annoying cylinder deactivation .  My MPG actually improved once I turned that unnecessary BS off!  I like the truck OK but without a doubt will be going back to a Ford next time. 

Other toys;

1.) 1973 John Deere 112 I restored a few years ago.  I use this to pull carts, lawn rollers, spreaders, sprayers, etc around the house.  I also plow my driveway in the winter time with it.  I'm trying to source a sleeve hitch and moldboard plow to work up my garden this spring as well.

2.) 1958 John Deere 720 diesel.  I bought this off my father-in-law.  I've had to spend some money on it to get it going (JD two-cylinders are about like owning a Harley, every time you turn around it cost you $100).  New flywheel, new rims on the rear, had the Power Steering rebuilt...but its fun to use to rake hay with or run the square baler in the summer time. 

The pic shows my son Keaton with his own 720D pedal tractor!  I had the old tractor in the shop this winter to fix the headlights and Keaton saw a photo op ("take my picture Dad").

'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

my other rides

Reply #1
Really like the old highboy there. The old restored 112 is pretty sweet as well.

my other rides

Reply #2
Hey thanks!  Yeah the old Ford should be pretty fun when its on the road again.  I would have rather had a 78-79 "low boy" but this will do.  The 78-79's had a married T-case, disk brakes, no in-cab fuel tank, and a lot better power steering system.  Luckily for me this old highboy didn't come with factory PS but somewhere along the line it had a Schrillo aftermarket integral PS added.  Should be pretty sweet as long as it works.

I bought the 112 for $50 here at work and put maybe $300 into it as far as new paint, belts, seat, decals, points/condenser, etc.  Luckily it had a reman motor in it that runs great.  I found the like new rear tires in the junk pile here at work too so those were freebies.  Its been a fun little toy to have around.  Goes to show you how good these babies were back in the day.  This one's 41 years old and going strong. 

I also have a NOS shortblock for it (they found it in the warehouse here at work covered in dust.  I gave $5 for it, lol).  I'm tempted to build it up...they make all kinds of hot rod goodies for the k-series Kohler's.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

my other rides

Reply #3
You have some nice & interesting "stuff", but what I really like is the picture of Keaton posing with his & dad's tractors... He's no doubt proud of his dad...

my other rides

Reply #4
If trucks were ranked by how "tough" they look those hi-boys would be in the top 3 for sure. I like the old mowers. I have a restored allis b10 and an all original simplicity 2010 that do my cs for me.  They are 1967-68 era and sport 10 horse Briggs.

my other rides

Reply #5
Quote from: bodyman;446178
If trucks were ranked by how "tough" they look those hi-boys would be in the top 3 for sure. I like the old mowers. I have a restored allis b10 and an all original simplicity 2010 that do my cs for me.  They are 1967-68 era and sport 10 horse Kohlers.

Yeah the 73-79 Fords are tough as nails.  Hey I grew up mowing on a '63-ish Allis B-1!  Dad still has the old thing but its been retired now.  Still runs!

You have some nice & interesting "stuff", but what I really like is the picture of Keaton posing with his & dad's tractors... He's no doubt proud of his dad...

Thank you VERY much for the kind words!  I don't know if Keaton is proud of me or not, but I'm certain that I am very proud of him!  Kids change your life for the better that's for sure!

Here he is again w/my cousin's son Norman playing in the cab of the old '73.

my other rides

Reply #6
You have some cool stuff. Nice :)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

my other rides

Reply #7
Very nice.

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

my other rides

Reply #8
Thanks guys!

my other rides

Reply #9
Ive got a 460 that would fit nicely in that ol dent side. My brothers and I have owned alot of the 70's dentsides. I had a '76 highboy 1ton that was a useless beast. it didnt cast a shadow if it wasnt muddy. Rusty but fun. closed knuckle d60, 4 wheel drums, no power steering, lockers front and rear 400w/ c6 4.56 gears hillbilly bars. It was a monster in the pit for sure.

my other rides

Reply #10
Yeah, my '73 has the closed knuckle dana 44 w/drums.  All the forums say to get rid of it and upgrade to a open knuckle w/disks, but since I'm not going to be wheeling/mudding I think it will survive what I will dish out.

Ooooh a 460 eh?  What all has to be changed to go from a 360 FE to a 460?  I was thinking motor mounts for sure.  How about bolting it up to the trans?

my other rides

Reply #11
The 351m 400 390 360 352 ect all use the same bellhousing pattern. Motor mounts im unsure of they should be pretty much the same

my other rides

Reply #12
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack;446353
The 351m 400 390 360 352 ect all use the same bellhousing pattern. Motor mounts im unsure of they should be pretty much the same
Not so, 351M, 400, 429, 460 use the big block 385 pattern(385 is Ford's official series name for 429/460)... Early in their life Ford did build some 400 that had the small block 302, 351C/W pattern, but all M have the 385...

The 352, 360, 390 etc thru 428 use the FE big block pattern, is unique to that series...

I've always liked those trucks but more prefer the '73 through '77 look, the big mouth bass '78-'79 grille never did grow on me.. I breifly owned a '74 but was offered more money than I could refuse for a so so truck...

my other rides

Reply #13
Thanks for clarifying Tom. I wasn't 100% sure I guess thats what I get for ASSuming.