Skip to main content
Topic: '88 T-Bird Master cylinder (Read 1326 times) previous topic - next topic

'88 T-Bird Master cylinder

Hello,

I have done a number of brake jobs over the years and find now that the T-Bird is likely due again for a new master cylinder.  I did this job about 8 years ago and regreted it.  The Cylinder on the vehicle has a bottom port which makes it ugly to prepare the cylinder (bench bleed) as well as to install it---in fact it is impossible in my opinion.  What am I missing on this job?  In all years past, a 2 port side connect cylinder is all I encountered and the job went smoothly.  The 3rd bottom port of course connects to an equalizing valve below it.  Last time I ended up taking the car to a shop to have all the air bled out because the installation I did was a flop. It's like pouring water into a funnel which also has 2 side openings!  If this is a mess--I'll just take it to a local place to do it.  I usually enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of these jobs, but I do not want to repeat the last job again.  I can post a picture if someone needs to see what I am talking about. Looks like you simply have to install a dry cylinder on this vehicle and fill and bleed--too much work for me--as you would have to bleed the entire system completely.

Reply #1
buy the older all metal setup. I know they had them in 86. Get a "1 man brake bleeder kit". There $5 at harbor freight. Also, I have never "bench bled" any I have replaced. Did they start coming with instructions?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
You could buy a pressure bleeder and I think that would solve the problem.

http://store.motiveproducts.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=motive&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=909801661&Count2=826942086

You just have to know what style of cap you need.  I have one for my Coupe and T-Bird and it works great.  This is a must if you have ABS.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #3
Thanks for the replies... I should check the item before writing.  The tap at the cylinder bottom is the line to the rear brakes.  That explains why years ago I had to take the car to the shop after my DIY and have them bleed the brakes.  The rear was full of air--as it was tough to get it all out.  There appears no way to mount this Master cylinder on the T-Bird with any fluid in it--as it will just pour out the bottom port as I mentioned above.  The other Ford I have can be bench bled---saves a whole lot of work.