Skip to main content
Topic: clutch problems (Read 916 times) previous topic - next topic

clutch problems

i have a problem with my clutch, im pretty sure it is going out, but not totally sure ill have to replace the whole thing. It goes into gear fine, it will shift through the gears with no problem, however, when i get on the throttle a little more than normal:evilgrin: the clutch slips a little then grabs again. Should i have to replace the whole clutch, or just the plate, dont know much about repairing them so im kinda clueless, any suggestions?
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

clutch problems

Reply #1
You should at least replace the pressure plate, clutch disc, throwout bearing, and have the flywheel resurfaced. I would recommend replacing the pilot bearing as well since you're right there.

So really just buy a clutch kit and have the flywheel resurfaced. :hick:
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

clutch problems

Reply #2
:toilet: that sux
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

clutch problems

Reply #3
and sounds pretty expensive
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

clutch problems

Reply #4
It depends on what kind of clutch kit you buy as to the cost.If you want expensive,they are out there.If you're on a pretty tight budget,get a clutch kit from Autozone for less than a hundred bucks,and,it has a lifetime warranty.I had my flywheel done and my driveshaft balanced at the same time,cost me $50.00,so the surfacing couldn't have been too much.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

clutch problems

Reply #5
In the end you save money by doing it right. A properly set up clutch with resurfaced flywheel will last for many years.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

clutch problems

Reply #6
Ain't it the truth. The TC I bought it a replacement for my GF's that croaked at 327,000....STILL with it's original clutch.

Obviously she doesn't drive like I do
5 Mopars, an S-197, and the Turbo Twinkie[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

clutch problems

Reply #7
well this car is my daily driver ( its actually a '90 toyota :rice: :makefun: :toilet: ) and was wondering if you had to pull the tranny and the motor to replace the clutch - if anyone knows? It is front wheel and the manual says u have to but i was wondering if anyone knew another way around it?
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

clutch problems

Reply #8
should be able to drop your tranny to get to the clutch. as far as resurfacing you should be able to get it done at your local parts store on their brake lathe.

clutch problems

Reply #9
what would i be resurfacing? ive never messed with a clutch - i know the whole clutch isnt gone really just the pressure plate and if i had the money i would replace the whole setup but im trying to get away with just the plate - i really dont want to dump a whole lot of money into the car ( much rather put my money in a cougar lol) i know i can get the presure plate at autozone for like 40 bucks is there anythin else i should have to replace with that like bearings or anything? Your help is very much appreciated.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII