Skip to main content
Topic: "The good far outweighs the bad": 1988 XR-7 couldn't pass it up... (Read 3603 times) previous topic - next topic

"The good far outweighs the bad": 1988 XR-7 couldn't pass it up...

So here it is.

The original ad:
5.0 decked and bored .030 over
10:1 TFS Forged Pistons
TFS track heat upper and lower manifolds
TFS twisted wedge aluminum heads
TFS cam .499/510
1.6 roller rockers
24# injectors, calibrated mass air sensor
70mm Edelbrock Throttle Body
MAC headers, H pipe and Borla lers (has a real nice rumble)
Tremec 3550, Powergrip clutch, custom driveshaft
Eaton Posi with Moser axles and Motive 3.73 gears
Maximum Motorsports caster and camber plates, poly bushings etc etc.
All the XR7 accesories work including the power lumbar, mirrors, locks,  etc. AC has been converted to R134a and does work but is a little low on  freon.

All of that is definitely true. Apart from a couple not huge splits in the upper part of the dash, the interior is mint. Original floormats, just about perfect. Somehow, the doors close with no rattle/bouncing/anything. SOMEHOW, the car drives like my friend's mom's brand new Fusion. Same as the doors, over the bumps there's nothing. Nothing. The exhaust is held down tight too. I was shocked on the test drive. That Tremec is mint, clutch slips in the powerband at WOT, can't really see how fast it is yet, but in due time. :D The bellhousing is wet and he claimed the rear main was bad. Whatever it is, it'll be taken care of and the clutch cleaned up if its still good, which it sure seems that way. If not, replaced. Whole motor will come out, for that aaaaaaand.....

......that's because it's got front frame rail rot right at the towers. :toilet: BUT WAIT!!!! It's not as bad as the red car. Unlike it, the rails down bulge on the bottom, and just generally look so much better except on the inside. The one picture shows it, though not that well. Once the time comes, I'll see if I can get away with just hacking it open and fishplating that side. Not concerned with perfect factory looks here like the red car.

The guy definitely didn't know, it's hard to see in this particular engine bay, but of course I found it and almost didn't buy it. But I couldn't let it go, the tightness of the car so far beyond what I thought these were even capable of astonished me, as with just the whole package. $3150 was the deal. 6 Rockford speakers, he  took his subwoofer tube but left the amp and 6 CD changer. No wiring cob jobs anywhere.

Even the inner console and opera lights work! :eek:  So yeah, definitely worth fixing the rot because that's all there is. He bought it from his friend who bought it from "the kid that built it". The last two combined but 5000ish miles on it. And used it as a show car basically. Has 103k. So whoever owned it originally was really nice to it apparently. And that kid obviously had done or did quality work to it. That surprises me the most. Sad as it is to say that a lot of people just wham-bam a "hot rod" together.

It's at my friend's house for now, stopped up to take the pics.

XXX
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #1
The rest.

XXX
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #2
Looks good!!!
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #3
at 3150, you just bought all the go-fast goodies at a discounted price and got a near mint car free :p lol again, not a cat fan anymore, but i would have jumped on it as quickly as you did and kept it intact, because of the excessive cleanliness of the body.. nice score indeed
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #4
That's a nice looking Cat with power to back up the good looks.  Nice score man.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #5
, thats a stunner.
83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

Reply #6
Yep, great looking car. Congrats on the purchase. Ugly shifter, but I love the rest of it a LOT. Very nice .
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
Thanks everyone. I agree vin, the shifter  is random looking and the boot is very off-the-beaten-path. Just cause you're unique does not mean you're useful LOL. But it is in good shape, from his pictures I thought it was a stock boot all chewed up and faded. The shifter itself definitely belongs in a car where the seats are above the trans tunnel. Which is sad, it doesn't look right but because of its length and angle you don't have to reach at all to change gears, really convenient. Guess I'll see what I value more-- form, or function. If I can get some of both, that would be best.

Reply #8
Nice car Pauly...... looks very familiar though..... ;)
You only live once
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
Looks like a very nice score!  Nice pick up to say the least.

Reply #11
Wow! Very nice indeed.  I love black Cougars.
Mike

Reply #12
Very nice, that was well worth it.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #13
Quote from: Old cave dude in Indiana Jones
You have chosen... wisely.

It reminds me of Nick's old '87. Nice purchase.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #14
Nice score :). It looks easy enough to fix the little strut tower issue.

When do you find time to drive all these Cougars? I barely have time to drive the T-bird. I think I've put 700 miles on it since April.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.