Skip to main content
Topic: Has anyone else seen this Months C&D cover (Read 3320 times) previous topic - next topic

Has anyone else seen this Months C&D cover

Mustang - Camaro - Challenger

Big red letters MUSTANG WINS. I was actually kind of surprised by this because alot of the magazines like to grope Chevys nuts.

The GT runs the 1/4 in 13.6 @ 105 MPH, 
Challenger R/T at 13.6 @ 106 MPH
Camaro SS finishes at 13.0 @ 111 MPH.

On the skidpad
GT posted the highest number, 0.92G's
The Challenger  0.78G,
SS hung at 0.85G

Reply #1
Just today arrived in the mail. Funny how all the magazines can do is bitch about the Mustang's log axle, 5-speed tranny and underpowered engine, but when they actually compare it to "superior" vehicles it wins the match. Not the fastest, but better. Just like it's always been. Be interesting to see how the Mustang compares when it gets the Coyote and Ecoboost engines...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
The GT runs the 1/4 in 13.6 @ 105 MPH,

Proof positive they can't drive a RWD car with a decent amount of torque.
The comparo car is a track pack equipped version -- 5 speed with 3.73's

I know a certain Grabber Blue with an auto and 3.31's that matched those #'s with a 1300 DA....
BONE STOCK
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #3
Quote from: V8Demon;275787

I know a certain Grabber Blue with an auto and 3.31's that matched those #'s with a 1300 DA....
BONE STOCK

I agree...and the 1/4 mile numbers for the SS seem a little high to me.  I figured those would be high 12 second cars out of the box with the amount of HP they are supposed to have.

I like the looks of the new 'maros but the more I learn about them, the less I like them.  GM just does some dumb stuff.  Like not having an external lock to get into the trunk...you have to use your keyfob, the battery is in the trunk (what happens when the battery goes bad? Get a prybar? lol), weak axle, etc etc.

I got my Motortrend today and they have a Hyundai Genisis vs V6 camaro comparison.  The Hyundai won...
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #4
I'm not really impressed with the Challenger, Camaro or the Genisis. I'll take a Track Pack Mustang in Grabber Blue please :D

Reply #5
Quote from: V8Demon;275787

BONE STOCK

Can any of the magazines drive a car? Hell I suck at drag racing a car but I could turn in a 13.6 in that car. These guys drive for a living.........
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
Well Devils advocate here...

It's actually fairly challenging to launch a stick car on street tires and not bog or spin the tires... Takes just the right amount of "ridin' the clutch" to get it out of the hole cleanly... With those MPHs, any of those cars could break into the 12s on sticky tires...

BUT I managed a 13.11@105.3 with a 1.90 sixty on a pair of Michelin 225/50/16s(automatic of course)... I've never quite equaled that NA 60ft on drag radials, but have beaten the 8.42 1/8 mi by about .03...

Reply #7
It's actually fairly challenging to launch a stick car on street tires and not bog or spin the tires..

Problem is that they have issue with automatic cars as well....
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #8
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;275784
Be interesting to see how the Mustang compares when it gets the Coyote and Ecoboost engines...

I was wondering does anyone know if ford is going to offer both the 4.6 and the 5.o in the new mustangs? Kinda like have the 4.6 as an entry level V8 and the 5.o as the "premium".

Reply #9
That's the story as of right now.....supposedly a $3000 markup.  I'm guessing more like $5000 though...

Reply #10
I'm thinking that would be kind of silly, since the Ecoboost V6 makes way more power than the 4.6. I know Ford's gonna do it, but still, it's silly. My ideal Mustang drivetrain selection (keep in mind the Mustang has more competitors than Camaros right now):

Base: 2.0 liter 4-cylinder Ecoboost ~250 horses to take on certain Korean coupes and maybe attract young drivers (and with a nod to 35MPG CAFE standards)
Mid-Base: (or LX, or "Pony" if you rather): 3.7 DOHC V6 ~300 horses (would make a nice starting point to "performance" Mustangs and also a nice answer to the Genesis V6)
GT (or LX) Turbo: 3.5 Ecoboost V6 ~350 horses)
GT (or Cobra): 5.0 Coyote V8 ~400 horses, with some tweaks for higher power for Mach and Bullitt models, up to, say, 450 horses
Shelby: Supercharged (or, dare I say, "ecoboosted") 5.0 or 6.0 Coyote ~600 horses to answer any future threat from a possible Z28 Camaro

6-speed manuals as standard equipment and 6-speed automatics available across the line

Yeah, I know, it's not 1968 anymore, and it's a pipe dream to think a manufacturer would offer more than two or three engines in a model, but dreams are dreams, and this could only help lower the overall costs of those drivetrains, which would also do well in the F-150 and the upcoming Ranger replacements...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #11
Some how I doubt it would pan out like you laid it out.

Reply #12
Hence my description of it as a "pipe dream".

However, there is hope for an Ecoboost V8. In fact, they're working on one:

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/06/08/update-on-fords-new-bobcat-ethanol-injected-turbocharged-v8/

500+ horses, 750+ pound feet of torque, alcohol injected 5.0!