Skip to main content
Topic: Is the Focus RS already here? (Read 4451 times) previous topic - next topic

Is the Focus RS already here?

Reply #1
As much as I would LOVE to see Ford sell that car here and as much as I would LOVE to see one sitting in my garage; I just don't see how they could pull it off and still make a profit.
Sure, there are a lot of enthusiast here in this country who do get what this car is about and like me would love to own one. But how many of them are willing to shell out the kind of money it would cost? Sadly, not enough. :(

Brent
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #2
The cost for one of these things IIRC would be around 30-45k people won't spend the money on something like this when they can get a Mustang cheaper. Unfortunately I don't foresee us ever getting our hands on one of these on American soil.

Reply #3
Agreed.... As awesome as it would be the price tag would kill it.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #4
Quote from: shame302;271398
Agreed.... As awesome as it would be the price tag would kill it.

I'm not convinced of that...Needs a 4 door variant with a bit more torque to play and I don't think that would be hard to do.

Seen the price tag on an EVO MR or and STi lately?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #5
NO but the "its still a focus" mentality that is out there would hinder its sales let alone that the people that can afford such a car probably will stick with an AWD like the STI or EVO. I know i would. Could be a problem for a "new" release car. As specially with the new Taurus coming out as well and even more so if they are in the same price range. (assuming around 36K). Costing more than a mustang sure wont help.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #6
That Focus stigma you speak of seems to be a North American issue, not worldwide.  Perhaps because the other hemisphere had the cool one from the get go...

Amazing how US car manufacturershiznit a home run in Europe then dumb it down for the US and it flops because a puppiesanese rival car comes here that ISN'T dumbed down gets the acclaim it deserves.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #7
Update: If any of you have read the newest issue of Automobile magazine and have read it front to back like I have today you will learn that Ford is INDEED planning on giving the U.S. the european Focus platform.

Focus 2011
After years of living separate lives, the European and North American Focuses will finally become one. For 2011, we, too, get a Focus based on the European C1 platform. The Iosis Max concept from this year's Geneva motor show might have been a funky people mover, but Ford says that much of its design language will appear in the production Focus. The engine underneath the "kinetic" skin is also likely to reach the showroom. The direct injection 1.6-liter turbocharged four not only fits into Ford's growing range of EcoBoost engines, but it also appeared in the Lincoln C concept shown earlier this year at the Detroit auto show. Both concepts also sported six-speed dual clutch transmissions, which already are offered across Ford's European portfolio.

Source: Automobile Magazine, June 2009

Reply #8
Despite a tough economy, and having become a father this past November, if Ford brought that car into this country, I WOULD find a way to legally own one. I'd love to have a '10 Taurus SHO, but to me the RS trumps it. :D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #9
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;271421
Despite a tough economy, and having become a father this past November, if Ford brought that car into this country, I WOULD find a way to legally own one. I'd love to have a '10 Taurus SHO, but to me the RS trumps it. :D

Indeed i would certainly sell the 99 cougar and FIND a way to afford that.

Reply #10
The platform is not the RS. We've had the European chassis for awhile, just never the current one at any given time. The only hope is for our Focus to get some kind of benefit out of ecoboost-4 technology. It'll probably be FWD, but I think with the SRT-4 what it now is, and the Cobalt SS about to dissapear, it'll be a good cheap competitor to the MazdaSpeed 3. Their own car. It still wouldn't be that much of a money maker, but it would cost a lot less, since the North American powertrains are probably going to be in Fusions or Tauruses, (below the SHO), at the same time.

Reply #11
I don't know if you really realize this but the current Focus is based on the past Focus which was US designed and the SUSPENSION was European design. Ford made it a point to make you think that the chassis was European and how is was so much better (I worked at a Ford dealership for a while and had to know these things). If you recall, when the current Focus came out the car magazines ripped it to shreds for being on the older Focus' chassis they kept stating that they wanted the European C1 platform. I usually agree with you Old Raven, but this time I don't think you're right.