Skip to main content
Topic: GM to pull the plug on Pontiac (Read 9337 times) previous topic - next topic

GM to pull the plug on Pontiac

Reply #30
I want a Buick so bad. It's just not one of the old people ones.

Reply #31
Quote from: Ifixyawata;269457
I'm not making a blanket statement saying that all old people drive Buick's... I'm just saying that the older generation of folks are definitely the ones keeping Buick alive.

...and that "older generation" is a rapidly growing demographic. There are lots of baby boomers getting to Buick age, many of whom have Buick money, which is why Buick is not being shiznitcanned.

Quote from: 86XR7project;269497
Every old person in Iowa owns a Buick, this isn't a mass generalization or an assumption. 99% of them really do own a Buick its weird.

No, that's not a mass generalization or assumption at all ;)

Pontiac's going away can largely be blamed on the dealerships. Every time Chevy would come up with some econobox (Vega, Chevette, Monza, Cavalier, Metro, Cobalt, Aveo) Pontiac dealers would demand an equivalent car to drive traffic to their showrooms. This is why we ended up with the Astra, T1000 (Acadian), Sunbird (J2000), Sunfire, Firefly, G5 and G3. The brand was diluted too far downmarket to ever be taken seriously as a "performance" brand.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #32
Tell ya what come out here and tell me I am wrong.

Reply #33
Hey I owned a Buick Century between the ages of 20 and 21 :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #34
My ex girlfriend's parents were only in thier late forties and THEY bought a Rendezvous.... the somewhat more luxurious, still-just-as-ugly cousin of the Aztek.

Reply #35
I've lusted heavily after a Park Avenue Ultra for quite some time.  Maybe that just makes me a geezer at heart :o

Wait, no, I lust even more after an '06 6.0 GTO.

Reply #36
The couple that used to live next door had a Rendezvous as well...Hes was in his 40's.  She was in her 30's.  Here's what theirs looked like:

FWIW the Rendezvous is not nearly as bad as the Aztek IMO.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #37
Quote from: V8Demon;270031
FWIW the Rendezvous is not nearly as bad as the Aztek IMO.

True story.

Im sorry but to me, cutting Pontiac is a bad move. Maybe it is just the area I live in but they are EVERYWHERE and very popular. Just my opinion
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #38
Yeah old peoplelike buiks and OLDsmobile!!!! lol.....  And another thing,... i really think auto manufacturers, need to have their production regulated...... I mean you drive down the srteet, and see an auto dealership, and they have ...... 10 -20 brand new pontiac solstice's.......... Honestly,,,,,, no -one has the cash these days to just say hmmmmm i think im gonna go buy one of those,,.....especially with so much economic BS thats going on....... like whats the sense of building 100,000 new cars, if on 30,000 will sell????If you ask me, a car lot should carry only a couple of new cars from the spcific brand, and if something there does not meet the customers requirements,.. then ORDER the one you want...... Like a lambo... you dont see a lambo dealership with a football field full of the things, so just because a (chevy-just an example) is more affordable means we can shove them all over the place???????? Just cause theyre there... doesnt mean theylll sellll.... The government needs to get on the same page as the rest of us........i mean really.... whatever happend to making "affordable muscle cars"????like novas and so on...... well thats enough ranting for me....
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #39
Beat me by a few seconds DVP!!!! lol
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!