Skip to main content
Topic: Need H-Pipe Hanger (Read 1443 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Need H-Pipe Hanger

Reply #15
but now that i think of it i forgot to mention that i cut the piece that goes into the mount, welded it to some unistrut flat stock and hung the h pipe with that and a u clamp

Yeah that could probably make a difference.  :hick:

There's one on eBay right now.  I'm gonna get it.  And if anyone on here snipes me, just watch the end of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and you'll see what's gonna happen.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #16
Okay I put the bracket in there and the passenger side down pipe would not mate up with the header.  No matter how I tried, it just would not go far enough forward.  The bracket was holding it back and nothing would budge.  So I ground down the passenger side of the bracket until I could shove the pipe far enough forward to make it fit.  I got the system all bolted back together but there is still a leak between the header and the passenger side down pipe.  So if anyone has an H-pipe hanger made for an auto tranny please let me know because I need it.  Still.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #17
Would flipping it around work? If the h-pipe needs to move forward, doing that may help.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #18
Yeah I was going to try that when I got home from work today just to see if it would.  Another problem is that the driver side pipe is so tight against the shifter bracket that it screwed the shifter up too.  I am just not relishing the thought of climbing back under the car when I get home tonight.  Again.

Anyone else ever fooled with one of these brackets?  Will flipping it around work?  And what about the shifter bracket?
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #19
Now that i'm thinking about it, which one did you pick up, the 5.0 Resto one or the ebay one?
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #20
eBay one, but they are the same.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #21
Update:  I tried flipping the bracket around but the transmission was in the way.  There is no freakin' way that bracket will work with an AOD transmission.  If anyone has proof that it will then I'd like to see it.  I eventually gave up on it and just put the old one back on until I can find a bracket made for an auto tranny.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #22
don't know, never used one. :hick:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #23
Then why the **** did you tell me it would work if you've never even used one?  I've spent the last three nights after work underneath that  car taking the exhaust system apart and putting it back together TWICE based on your advice.  If you don't know, then don't say anything.  . 
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #24
Yeah, the 5-speed one doesn't work well. You do need one from an automatic. Also, you cannot use a Mark VII one because it's all funky. I tried on the convertible and did not get it to work. Have you called MPS? 770-867-2644. I'll bet they have one from a Mustang AOD for ya...they're pretty good for stuff like that.

Reply #25
well excuse me for breathing your air. I will not darken your life anymore. :bowdown:  goodbye, seeya. :brick:  :toilet:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #26
Thanks for the advice Eric.  Wish you would have popped in here a week ago.  Would have saved me a lot of time and kept a lot of road grime from falling in my eyes.  :wtf:

MPS is actually just a couple hours south of me so I will give them a call and see what they say.

Cougarman -- Sorry I lost my temper.  But I lost a lot of time based on your inaccurate advice.  If I am not sure if something will work or not I don't say anything.  I assumed since you said it would work that you knew it would work.  I apologize if that is an inaccurate assumption.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #27
Quote from: jkirchman
  And if anyone on here snipes me, just watch the end of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and you'll see what's gonna happen.

What?  You're gonna get up on stage and dance w/ Morris Day and the Time? :rollin:
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #28
Okay maybe right before the very end of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Smartass.  :flip:
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #29
Nice Chuck. ;)

Actually I did watch this thread Jim...thought things were wrapped up at one point. You also have to remember that H-pipes have a really bad tendency to just not fit right. There is usually some "massaging" needed (vice, heat, pry bars, and of course, the BFH). I've never had an H-pipe or X-pipe fit correctly unless it was custom bent for the car itself. This could explain the exhaust leak too. But the hooks on the H-pipe can only go so far to fit into the hanger. You need the correct one for that, no cheating.