Skip to main content
Topic: What is the best way to set the tps sensor? (Read 3604 times) previous topic - next topic

What is the best way to set the tps sensor?

What is the best way to set the TPS sensor?
ǾĐÍξ

Reply #1
You do not have to set it.

•Closed Throttle can be anywhere between 0.6-1.0 volts
•Part Throttle is triggered @ 0.04 volts above Closed Throttle
•Full Throttle is triggered @ 2.71 volts above Closed Throttle

As long as the voltage is between .6-1 volt at idle and hits 2.71 volts above idle voltage, or higher, and the increase in voltage is smooth through entire throttle movment, no further action is required.

Every time the car is started, the computer resets the TPS sensor voltage to the closed idle voltage. Setting it to .9999999 Does not do anything.

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=30
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Not really true
Did you see the minor amount of voltage it takes to trigger part throttle,0.04v.
If you just put the tps on and don't set it,it can and more than likley will be above 1.04v.
Most i have seen are and some have even needed to have the adjustment slots elongated to get to below 1 volt,and it should be below 1v.
I have a piggyback standalone that tells me when the eec is at idle,part,wot etc and it does not like even .98v to see idle.
1v is part throttle,.94-.97v is usual for the ford eec-iv to see idle.
Also heat affects the sensor(i have seen it with my own eyes)i have set the sensor to .98v cold and it ended up over 1v hot(which is part throttle)so set the tps hot.
I cannot remember which two wires must be probed to get the voltage,one is ground(black usually)one is 5v referance and one is signal voltage.
You need to put a volt meter to signal voltage and ground and set your tps to around .96v.
The eec-iv resetting the tps voltage everytime the engine is restarted is 100% untrue.

Reply #3
I usually set mine at .96, for the above reasons. I've had it higher already and never noticed any issue with it either.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #4
1v is the maximum for the computer to be able to reconize the idle strategy. If you set it to .75 or .98 it does not matter. The computer takes the first number it can see every time the car is started up and goes from there. if it is set at .99v then the computer will not go into part throttle until 1.03v.

I'm not sure where I stated anything wrong?

I did not know that heat can change the values. Learn something new everyday.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #5
My eec-iv (A9P) will not recognize 1v as idle,it is part throttle.
Anything above .98 on mine is part throttle.
Below .98 you are correct ,it is idle but if you go to low it is undervolt/undertravel.
Not sure where the info about the eec taking whatever voltage is at each startup is for idle then adding the .04v to get part throttle came from but mine sure doesn't do that.
It's a programmed table in the eec for voltages of what is acceptable and what is not.
Mine always starts at about the same voltage give or take .01v(it should not change anyways) and alwayshiznits part throttle at the same time .04v.
If my tps was set at .99v(which on mine is part throttle)then the eec would never see idle,it would always see part throttle to start with, which causes various problems in multiple tables in the eec(hunting idle/rich idle etc).
I state this from experience in tuning my eec and seeing many things that the average person cannot see on screen.
While ford fuel injection has lots of good info it is not always correct.

Reply #6
I agree with all of you,, hey thats new:hick:

the green wire to ground is the one to set the voltage however you dont really need to do it with power, it can be done by resistivity alone.

no two tps's are alike either, thats the main reason for my 2c worth.  I pick out the one with the highest resistance from orange to black so i end up with a wider voltage range installed.

also, an buttstuffog meter is best for setting the tps so you can easily see the intermittant opens or disparity in an existing tps while testing by way of moving the throttle linkage.  lets see whats new and what we all can offer/learn

Reply #7
Out of spec TPS voltage = KOEO code 23

Reply #8
Lets do some math here. And yes, every time you turn the car on, the computer takes the lowest voltage and uses that as a base for idle.

.75v idle
.79v = part throttle
3.46v or higher = WOT

Essentially, there is no reason for the TPS to even read all the way up to 5v (about where it should stop at) because your car is already floored at 3.5v.

If the TPS dosen't change voltages, then why is there a sensor, instead of just a basic map that the computer references? Wait, it does. It just uses the mythical .99v as a base. You can set it to be anything you want, from .6-1V.

I could see it being possible that your computer see's .99v as 1v, but then that would mean that your TPS is actually set at .96 for idle. I think that it can also be as high as 1.2v and still operate correctly.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #9
Quote from: Haystack;320969
I think that it can also be as high as 1.2v and still operate correctly.

Yep. 1.25V is the upper level which the ECU thinks the TPS has failed. The TPS voltage is usually a little lower at the ECU than what you measure at the TPS. Low voltage limit is 0.5V. So, 0.6V - 1.2V is a safe window. With stock equipment you should never be able to get outside this window as they just bolted these things together - Ford never wanted to nor did they 'set' the TPS voltage. Wherever the voltage falls in the 0.6 - 1.2V range, part throttle is 0.04V higher than this. WOT is 2.775V higher than closed throttle voltage.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #10
Quote from: Cougar5.0;320980
Yep. 1.25V is the upper level which the ECU thinks the TPS has failed. The TPS voltage is usually a little lower at the ECU than what you measure at the TPS. Low voltage limit is 0.5V. So, 0.6V - 1.2V is a safe window.

Yep, some time ago I measured mine and it was at 1.15v with no issue, this was on a Ford Racing 65mm TB that had never been touched... Experimenting, I elongated the holes to get it down to .7v, and after a couple learn cycles it's always idled/run same as it did at 1.15v...

BTW this is with a A9P EEC...

I have seen Speed Densety EECs that idle went high when voltage was increased to over 1v, makes one wonder if they all have the same strategy...

Reply #11
If you guys don't want to believe me that's cool.
However i speak from real world experience and not just someone's website information.
I can see everything my eec is doing and at what voltages it is doing it at.
Your eec voltage should never change from what you set it at for idle so it will always take where you set it(my case .96v)and go from there.
I wil tell you though MY eec wants no more than .98v to be in the idle circuit not 1v not 1.25v not etc etc.
What you all need to understand is, is that ford set a tabled value for max idle voltage and that voltage on MY eec is .98v.
If i set my idle to .99v MY eec is in part throttle and never sees idle, therefore the .99v-1.0v you are talking about is part throttle not idle and the .04v never matters as it would always be in part throttle program.
The idle voltage min/max range is again a TABLE and does not reset with ever key cycle.
You are however correct in the fact that no matter your idle voltage to a min.76- .99(this will not change unless manually doing so) max your eec will take this and then ad the .04 to get part throttle.
The Tables of what is what are rom memory not ram memory.

TC50 your car may have ran the same from .7 to 1.15v but i will tell you that after .99v you were in the part throttle table circuit no matter how many key cycles you used and .04v never came into effect because you where already off idle.
In MY car being in the off idle circuit with a closed throttle blade caused the car to sometimes hunt(lightly) at idle and when i set the tps correctly it stopped the hunting.
Again you guys can argue all you want and not believe we but i speak from real world experience not some website's written info and we all know the internet to be 100% correct right?

Reply #12
I can see everything my eec is doing and at what voltages it is doing it at.

Show us....

FWIW -- Ford Fuel Injection has a link to the actual Ford GUFB dospoogeent....
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/files/GUFB.pdf

And a good read here.  You MAY have to log in to see it......

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,13644.0.html

I've tried .95V, .99V, .7V.......always ran the same.

I try to keep it @ .85V now.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #13
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;320985

I have seen Speed Densety EECs that idle went high when voltage was increased to over 1v, makes one wonder if they all have the same strategy...

Well, I was going to give the benefit of the doubt that Speed Density ECUs are different, but then I looked up the strategy used by Speed Density V8s Cougar/Thunderbird and the idle strategy is the same as for A9L & other latter MAF vehicles.

The only way to make idle stay high and think it's in PT is to turn the throttle screw while the engine is running. It'll never idle down if you do this. Easy fix though, just shut the car off and restart it - it'll use the new setting as idle - even if it's above 1V.

I see no tables related to throttle position in any EEC IV strategy - I'd like to see a picture of this as well.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #14
The Turbo Coupes are notorious for a hanging idle, usually around 2K, setting the TPS voltage to less than 1v generally fixes them...

BTW unlike the 5.0 cars, the 2.3 TPS is factory adjustable...