Skip to main content
Topic: Anybody on here running... (Read 994 times) previous topic - next topic

Anybody on here running...

one of these?:tg: 

I just won this on ebay and will be installing it on my '88 T-bird as soon as it arrives in the mail.:cool:  Ever since I swapped the 5 speed into this thing, something breaks everyday.:mad:    I haven't even had a chance to wind it out or beat on it, and see what it can do yet either.  Last weekend, the IAC died, which made it stall everytime I came to a stop, fixed that, now the water pump went. So I figured I would do the timming chain while it was that far apart.

I have alway wanted a set of gear drives for the '85 cougar, but they cost around $600 just for the set up here.  Has anyone heard anything bad about them?  These are from Pro Comp.

Reply #1
i know most of the ones iv seen arnt for roller blocks, but im sure they make them. only "bad" thing i know of is gear wine and somepeople like that. other than that, they last longer and dont stretch so thats a major pluss.

Reply #2
Thats why I got it was for the gear whine.  I like the sound of them.  My buddy installed one of these in his '87 5.0L stang last year.  His is the Edelbrock one but it doesn't sound good at all. :shrug:

How can you tell if it isn't for the roller block?  This will suck if I have to build a new motor to use it.
Thanks.

Reply #3
Ive heard things along the lines of not to use them with an engine with a harmonic balancer, but i cant exactly remember why.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #4
Quote from: Tbird232ci
Ive heard things along the lines of not to use them with an engine with a Knock sensor, but i cant exactly remember why.

Fixed it for you.  because of the noise will cause a vech with a knock sensor to retard the timing and fuel maps.

it should work fine in his 88 t-bird as long as it is for a late 302.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #5
I've also heard similar things about timing gears......
Pete Jackson Gear drives makes a set that will work with roller motors and Summit has it new for about $225 if anyone else is interested.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #6
85 and earlier are non rollers in most cases. All cougars from 85 down are this way. the 86 up 5.0's are virtally identical and all are rollers.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #7
I have a them on my car. I do have a 91 mustang engine with computer and harness which has no knock sensors. I love the gear whine. It fools many people to think my car is supercharged till they here the turbos spool up and drownd out the gear whine. I do recommend synthetic oils with these gears becuase they tend to wear out the additives in regular oil due to the shearing action of the gears. They are also great becuase you wont have to worry about a chain jumping but theres also more spining weight in the engine which can limit rpms to an extent. But I love that sound:D

Reply #8
Thanks for the info Andrew.  I guess I will be getting a hold of you for any questions I have about the install.

The main reason I bought these for was just that...  The sweet sound they make.