Skip to main content
Topic: Headman headers (Read 3056 times) previous topic - next topic

Headman headers

Here's the story on headman headers for any one that is putting headers on their car. Keep in mind that these headers are listed to fit t-birds...
My car is an 84 ,5.0 and  i wanted to put full tube headers on it so  i got a set of headman 88360 . The drivers side wouldnt even come close to fitting as there were clearance problems with the steering shaft,tranny linkage and floor. A nightmare.  I didnt even try the passengers side.  Sent them back.
I got a set of headman shorties 88380 and they are now on the car, but it wasnt just that simple. A few holes on the s had to be hand filed larger to get the bolts in the head. All the bolts had to be started at once and then systematically tightened each one a little at a time.The drivers side fit quite well,a little close on the steering shaft but causing no problems.
The passengers side bolted up quite easily but there is only about 3/16 of an inch clearance between the collector and the floor/firewall. This is causing the metal temps in the floor to run extremely high. I measured the floor temp on the drivers side and it is 130F while over on the pass side where clearance is close, floor temps have reached 300f. I'm going to have to use header wrap on the headers so i dont burn the car up. These headers should have been designed better and there was lots of room on the pass side to do that. On the up side they seal well. I have had no leaks.  If you want to keep them looking good you had better sandblast and paint them before you put them on the car as they only come shipped with a black anti rust coating on them that burns off in about 10 minutes.  I also had to use a combination of 90 degree and straight boot plug wires antd tighten 1 spark plug with a wrench.

I wouldn't buy another set....

Headman headers

Reply #1
sould like every set of headers ever made. none ever fall in with no issues.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Headman headers

Reply #2
I had a 88 bird with a column shifter with headman shortie headers and they clear everything, including the steering shaft.

20006 Ford Fusion SE

Headman headers

Reply #3
Quote from: JrP;176894
Here's the story on headman headers for any one that is putting headers on their car. Keep in mind that these headers are listed to fit t-birds...
My car is an 84 ,5.0 and i wanted to put full tube headers on it so i got a set of headman 88360 . The drivers side wouldnt even come close to fitting as there were clearance problems with the steering shaft,tranny linkage and floor. A nightmare. I didnt even try the passengers side. Sent them back.
I got a set of headman shorties 88380 and they are now on the car, but it wasnt just that simple. A few holes on the s had to be hand filed larger to get the bolts in the head. All the bolts had to be started at once and then systematically tightened each one a little at a time.The drivers side fit quite well,a little close on the steering shaft but causing no problems.
The passengers side bolted up quite easily but there is only about 3/16 of an inch clearance between the collector and the floor/firewall. This is causing the metal temps in the floor to run extremely high. I measured the floor temp on the drivers side and it is 130F while over on the pass side where clearance is close, floor temps have reached 300f. I'm going to have to use header wrap on the headers so i dont burn the car up. These headers should have been designed better and there was lots of room on the pass side to do that. On the up side they seal well. I have had no leaks. If you want to keep them looking good you had better sandblast and paint them before you put them on the car as they only come shipped with a black anti rust coating on them that burns off in about 10 minutes. I also had to use a combination of 90 degree and straight boot plug wires antd tighten 1 spark plug with a wrench.

I wouldn't buy another set....
My question would be are they shortie equal legnths or un equal lenghts?

Headman headers

Reply #4
Quote from: 84 Fila;176907
My question would be are they shortie equal legnths or un equal lenghts?

i think these are what he has on there now

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_36264_-1

and i believe these are the ones he wants to put on there

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_36262_-1
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Headman headers

Reply #5
That's why I recomend the FRPP stainless shorties. Sure the stock 86-88 mounts have to ground down a bit so they fit (you could get around that with ChuckW's mounts) but they are high quality pieces that fit like, well, a stock Ford part. You get what you pay for with headers and the FRPP ones are worth the extra cost IMO.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Headman headers

Reply #6
My BBK shorties bolted in with zero problems.Nice and easy.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Headman headers

Reply #7
Quote from: vinnietbird;176972
My BBK shorties bolted in with zero problems.Nice and easy.

BBKs are nice quality headers. I tell people to avoid Hedman and Flowtech headers like the plauge. Me and a buddy tried to put Flowtech long tubes on his 66 302 Stang and it was a PITA. We had to redrill or round out almost every bolt hole........
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Headman headers

Reply #8
My Mac's fit with alittle cussing ans swearing. And they are tight around the car in the same places. Thats why I asked if they were equal legnth or not

Headman headers

Reply #9
i have summit brand headers on my bird. They fit awesome,all i had to do was cut the s and install piece by piece and then bingo,one nice set of cheap headers. $100.00 invested.
1987 T-bird SportCoupe,302,5spd,8.8,3.27s,pbr brakes,spindles,2003 rear,18inch 06 gt rims!!!!:evilgrin:
2006 Gt Mustang,3v,5spd,8.8,3.55s,GT500rims.
1990 T-bird LX,3.8,aod,loaded,stock!!
1999 Trailblazer(wifes rig)

Headman headers

Reply #10
Fila,didn't it take you days to get your on?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Headman headers

Reply #11
It took about 6 hours total over 2 days to get them on. I'd bet if I had studs they would have lined up a bit better. Nothing like tweeking and bending headers trying to get them on.

Headman headers

Reply #12
the hedman 88380 are uneqaul lenght headers.

Headman headers

Reply #13
im surprised you didnt mention having to smush or crush the runners a little to make room for a socket to fit over thier recommended bolts.

Headman does suck but im interested in more information on the summit brand. 

"CUT S"??????

1BDBIRD i have summit brand headers on my bird. They fit awesome,all i had to do was cut the s and install piece by piece and then bingo,one nice set of cheap headers. $100.00 invested.

more info on this please

Headman headers

Reply #14
My buddy put longtube headman headers on his '71 Maverick and they fit fine...we did have an issue with the hydraulic steering ram...but overall they fit great.  NO LONG TUBE HEADERS WILL FIT NICELY WITH COLUMN SHIFT...that should be common knowledge by now with these cars.  I had flow tech f/l headers in my t-bird and the install was okay, but the quality definitely lacked.  With stock style motor mounts, the #5 primary tube had to be dented to clear and the headers rattled around against the K-member....The 1 3/4" Mac headers on my Cougar were are royal PITA but don't really rattle against anything...however the matching Mac Pro-Chamber fit like  and is not rattling against the trans crossmember...I guess the mounts I got from Chuck finally got broken in nicely...lol.  I can't even imagine going back to stock mounts!
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads