Skip to main content
Topic: ported the stock throttle body. (Read 896 times) previous topic - next topic

ported the stock throttle body.

The other day my buddy and I found a tiny vacspooge leak at the throttle body, (bad gasket).  So since I had to remove it anyways, I decided to do a MM&FF trick and hog out the inside (get rid of that little ledge) and knife edge the butterfly.  According to them they picked up 25cfm with this trick.  I also made my own erg block off plate, since I have no emissions equipement on the car.

Anybody else try this?  It feels like it is a little more responsive to throttle tip in.

Reply #1
Nothing like proven and inexpensive mods! 

BTW, I would LOVE to paint my intake and valve covers on my 5.0 the same color as your intake.  It would look nice in a double photo shoot next to my 'Stang.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
I'll give it a shot this weekend.I have nothing going on.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
hell i need to rip my intake off to replace the valve cover gaskets, maybe ill mess with that!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #4
what color is your upper intake manifold?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #5
thanks guys, and by the way it aint paint, it's powdercoated. ;)  dunno what color it is, I bought it that way.  The lower intake was powdercoated a cream color, so I painted it that metalcast blue, same with my block and heads.

Reply #6
i was gonna say it kindda looks like duplicolor metal cast
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #7
I find out about this after I put the engine back together.............

Neat though. I'll have to try it when I swap out the intake for something better.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #8
Man that is an OLD hot rodding trick.  Guys use to do it to carbs.  Same concept, just on a fuelie.  I didn't narrow the shaft like MM&FF did though.  just cut off the screws and tightened them down then welded them in and ground it off.