Skip to main content
Topic: It's been a LONG time... (Read 3626 times) previous topic - next topic

It's been a LONG time...

Been a long time since I've logged in here, rough guess, 2013. Been through a lot of cars since then, but have managed to hold on to the Cougar through them all. Car has been in storage since 2010-11 I think. Wow, first time I've actually though about how long it's been off the road. Hopefully in the next year, if everything goes as planned it will be coming home, and work can start.

Really just wanted to stop in and say Hi to the guys that have been around long enough to remember me, and check in on a few cars/builds I remember. Curious to see whats happened with Blackjack, Chuck, fastcat, Vinny, Eric, and a few other for sure.
X
1986 Cougar LS

It's been a LONG time...

Reply #1
Wow...blast from the past! Glad to hear you're still around. IIRC you were one of the first people to contact me when my site started, and you always kept in touch. Awesome, hope you stay around for awhile!

It's been a LONG time...

Reply #2
Eric, I followed your website like some follow the Bible. I was 14 when I stumbled across it the first time I think. Your car was always a huge inspiration.

Ill be more active here slowly, going to need to source parts eventually.I honestly didnt expect it to be such a ghost town. Seems like the same people, minus a few are still the active members.
1986 Cougar LS

It's been a LONG time...

Reply #3
I'm still here :hick:. My cars going for paint this coming week. After 29 years it's time.

These cars aren't that common anymore. The newest ones will be 30 years old next year. Only us crazies keep them around.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

It's been a LONG time...

Reply #4
What up dude....ltns.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

It's been a LONG time...

Reply #5
Welcome back. The most frustrating part about working on a car, is not being able to.

Stick around and let us help ya out.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

It's been a LONG time...

Reply #6
I'm glad this place is still around. Seems like the forums are falling off due to Facebook. Which is all well and good on a social stand point. You can't ever find the information you want or need, and the stupid is on a level I can't stand. I've purposely delayed working on the Cougar for years. I bought it in '04, my first car, and I want to do it right. I did enough terrible things to it as a kid. Now I have a kid and want it to eventually turn into a Father/Son project. I've had the parts to start the motor swap a few times now, hell I have a spare now. After fixing other peopls shiznitboxes all day, everyday, it's hard to find the motivation to work on your own.
1986 Cougar LS

It's been a LONG time...

Reply #7
Still lingering around on this site as well just not posting up any cruise-in pics. We are attending Carlisle with fascat , blknredcougar , Baxo in early June for the 50th Cougar Anniversary event. Plus another event on the following Weekend up in Dearborn,Mi. :D

It's been a LONG time...

Reply #8
Welcome back!! Still here. The Bird has been through a bit, about to replace all of the suspension.

'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

It's been a LONG time...

Reply #9
Welcome back.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

It's been a LONG time...

Reply #10
I'm still here. Life's been busy, but I still have the '83.

Welcome back.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

It's been a LONG time...

Reply #11
Well I tried to do my old ways of quoting a post, typing a reply, then copy paste with another quoted post. That's ten minutes I'll never get back. Not sure what happened there. So, I will just do it this way.

Haystack, Was it you that had the Cougar with the no passenger mirror option at one point? Came up in random conversation recently.

ThunderbirdSport302, Where in beautiful, currently Missouri Sea, are you? I cant remember.

Dan and Paula, Glad to hear from you guys. I appreciate the cards over the years, don't think they went unnoticed. Still sporting the wire hubcaps I hope? I'd love to make it out to Carlisle once, this year would be awesome but just not in the cards.

Vinnie, I love that hood man. Are you lowering it any this go around? How are the junkyards looking out your way? Might need some small rust free patch panels for the lower quarters. If I am lucky enough to find a car out here, it is all rotted.

Iroc, Thank you sir.

Chuck, The '83 has been a big inspiration, really glad it is still around. Do you still have family out this way? I'd love to take you out for a beer and talk Foxes. Over the years, all the knowledge I picked up from all you guys has been fading away. It would be nice to jog the memory a little. I bet you have some parts stashed away I might need down the road also.
1986 Cougar LS

It's been a LONG time...

Reply #12
Hey! Hope you're doing well. Good luck with the re-animation! :)
Still have the one in my sig...was dad's so it's not going anywhere. I think some nutcase would have seriously given me 10K for it at a big show last fall. No dollar amount. Never.

Found two modified black 88 XR7's, one in 2011 one two years ago. It's a disease alright and it's like they're drawn to me....lies. I'm an idiot and can't get off craigslist.
I remember those wheels now! Picked up some PRIME 5-spokes last year that look like that but have spokes curved inward slightly. It's like horsepower mods, can never again enjoy one of these cars without 'em bolted on!!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

It's been a LONG time...

Reply #13
Quote from: DVP;460627
Chuck, The '83 has been a big inspiration, really glad it is still around. Do you still have family out this way? I'd love to take you out for a beer and talk Foxes. Over the years, all the knowledge I picked up from all you guys has been fading away. It would be nice to jog the memory a little. I bet you have some parts stashed away I might need down the road also.

Yeah, I still have family in STL (St Peters). Only out that way once a year, around the holidays, but maybe we can work something out.
I've avoided taking the car apart to work on some projects, just because if I did, I'm not sure when I'd get back to it to get it on the road. Going to have to bite that bullet sometime soon, to get a couple things done.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

It's been a LONG time...

Reply #14
Quote from: Chuck W;460656
I've avoided taking the car apart to work on some projects, just because if I did, I'm not sure when I'd get back to it to get it on the road. Going to have to bite that bullet sometime soon, to get a couple things done.

It's so hard to justify downing a car when it runs and moves perfectly well under it's own power and you're *mostly* content with it.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane