Skip to main content
Topic: SHO swap into Fox, one step closer (Read 22768 times) previous topic - next topic

SHO swap into Fox, one step closer

Reply #30
Some more work on this.  I'll get pics and updates up soon (changing where I'm going to be hosting pics..so I'm waiting until I get that taken care of)

My buddy modded the bellhousing for me, and that all looks good.  Now all it needs is cleaned and painted.

I also got my flywheel yesterday, so I took a couple minutes and mocked it up on the SHO block.
Needs 4 things done (well 5)
1. Weld and redrill crank bolt holes
2. Make an adapter ring to match the crank snub on the SHO with the center of the 5.0 flywheel (SHO=1.26", 5.0=1.75").  Not a big deal there, just make an adapter ring.
3. Machine a shallow recess in the back of the flywheel.  A couple of the heads of the bolts on the oil seal carrier contact the base of the flywheel.  Nothing major...just contact, but it needs to be clearanced.
4. Have it zero-balanced/surfaced.
5.Optional step - Have it cryo-treated to relieve the machine/welding stresses on it.

So far it looks like I'll be into the flywheel for under $200, with the cryo, which is 1/2 of what the "custom" AL one would cost me. 

More pics and info as it comes along.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #31
neet n' sweet
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #32
OK..a couple more  pics.

First the bellhousing mods.  They primarily consisted of a couple new holes and a couple reliefs for bolt heads.  One of the reliefs has a hole as well because I decided I just may use that as a through bolt instead of the initial plan.

Next is the initial mod on the flywheel.  I still have to drill out the holes,, but I figured I just leave two and elongate them so they match up with the SHO bolt circle.  The mod work on the flywheel might happen next week, and then off to get balanced and surfaced.

That's all for now.  I'll get pics after the flywheel machining is done.

Reply #34
Dan-
I'm going to post your questions from your PM here

"I saw your post about the sho adapter plate, i too and attempting a sho swap. I was going to use the aerostar bellhousing but i like your idea, i have a few questions if you wouldn't mind. Are you going to make a lower adapter plate to attach the bell to the oil pan? is the trans input shaft going to be a reasonable length into the crank or will you be running the longer s/n 95 input shaft? how thick is that plate? "

Once I know 100% for certain the ministarter will clear everything as is..ie the oil pan, block, etc, then I will probably change the adapter to incorporate the attachment to the oil pan.  I have thought about it though, but that was secondary since I wasn't certain right off on starter clearance.

On the input shaft.  The crank face to block offset difference between the SHO and 5.0 is approx 1/4"....so that's what the adapter is...A standard Fox 5.0 trans input shaft should work out fine.

Also, as far as producing them.  I'm not going to consider it until I'm certain it all lines up and I have all the notes and details on any mods.  Even with the adapter it will not be a mod-free bolt in (as noted by the bellhousing mods).

Reply #35
Hey,
Thanx for the quick reply, i completely respect your choice..i will make sure to read up..im sure many others will also, this will be an awesome task...

Reply #36
Hmmm, I don't ever recall you mentioning this project.  It's not taking the place of your I300 is it?  Regardless it's looking good.  You do some really ingenious and great work.  Can't wait to see updates.

Reply #37
Quote from: DakotaEpic
Hmmm, I don't ever recall you mentioning this project.  It's not taking the place of your I300 is it?  Regardless it's looking good.  You do some really ingenious and great work.  Can't wait to see updates.

Well I was never doing an I300 project....the I200 X-Flow, yes..but not the big block.

This is not taking the place of that project....just concurrent progress at the moment.  The 83 Tbird will have the I6 and the 84 XR-7 will have the SHO...

Reply #38
as far as the shos go my buddy bought his for 300 bucks running with a blown trans. stripped the main shaft out the trans. now my buddy pulled the intake and now it won't start so hes looking to sell the car, and his dirt bike and buy a running driveing one, if ur still interested in a good motor its got 93k on it, needs new plug wires, ones cracked, adn when i say crakced like the sqaure top is almost cracked in half, and he won't belive me thats thats y its missing like a bitch. if he decides to get rid of it ill let u know about the motor if ur interested.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #39
It all depends on where the engine is located....

Reply #40
Rhode Island i have to go over tomarow see what the dumbass did but i got off the phone with my dad told me some tips so i might be able to get it running tomarow if ur remotly intrested mybe hell get off his lazy ass and do something with it. its to bad the body is almsot perfect, interior is  good, and its got low miles, but the guy he bought it off of let a young guy take the car out for a spin he came back parked the car said he didn't wnat it the guy go in to move it and the trans was done, so he cut the price from 500 to 300. ran pretty good ill tell u what happenes and u tell me if ur interested, o and u could prob get it fairly cheap, if hes smart and parts up the car and sells it u might get the motor few hundred or less
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #41
RI is a bit far from me to grab an engine.  Thanks though.

Reply #42
all right well figured id offer
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #43
Just wondering if the 3.6 V-8 from the later model 96-98 SHO will work as well.

Reply #44
I'm not as familiar with those.  I'm not 100% certain what the bell pattern is (if it's still Vulcan or not).  I know I would LOVE to get my hands on one.  They are pretty sweet aside from the whole cams falling apart thing.....