Skip to main content
Topic: 351 stroker into my 87 cougar (Read 3999 times) previous topic - next topic

351 stroker into my 87 cougar

Reply #15
Just throwing this out there, but all the ones I seen split do it at the top in the lifter galley. I'm in the same boat. I built a 331 one and kicking myself for not starting with a 351, think I'll get a dart block later down the road when I add a blower. If I ever get to work on the stupid thing again...
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #16
Ok maybe the block needs a bridge between the heads front and back to hold the block in place. I have been wondering if most of the blocks that crack have forged cranks and possibly with girdles. That would make the block absorb flex instead of the crankshaft in my opinion. I think most of the engine builders I know don't recommend a forged crank in a 302 block, that just my opinion and this is coming from a guy who doesn't build motors or have much experience with fords in general. If I am dead wrong than by all means say your thoughts on the block failures.

Reply #17
Regarding the 302....

The forged rotating assembly is not the problem.  Because of the light duty nature of the block(thin casting) the 302 splits.  Its really easy to hit the 450rwhp or so with a turbo 302 thats stock.  So strokers, nice heads, cams just let you get to the max power of the block at less boost.  The explorer 5.0 doesnt have forge pistons and that rotating assembles splits the block easily. 

From what I have read on the interweb, too many revs with help with the block flex.  All engines flex somewhat, just 302 flexs alot.  Usually blowing the headgaskets first.  Then the user really clamps the heads down.  Then the block splits.

Travis