Skip to main content
Topic: Swapping 5.0 302 engine help (Read 2278 times) previous topic - next topic

Swapping 5.0 302 engine help

gf
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 TBird-5.0 Cobra engine, Fresh Paint, BBK Cold Air Intake, Aluminum Driveshaft, Brian Crower Cam, Nitrous, 5 lug conversion, full cobra breaks/rims assembly, BBM shift kit, Maximum Motorsports Caster cambers/shocks/struts, Eibach Springs, Mass Air Flow Conversion, HEI Distributor, Compression rate 10:1, 2.25" dual Magnaflow glasspacks- Ford Motorsports short headers, 70 mm tbody/egr/upper, 1 inch spacer on manifold & more

Reply #1
you wanna do what?  you want to swap out a 5.0HO for the 5.0SO?  sorry but that makes no sense.  if you want a 5.0 mustang go buy one, give the poor bird a chance and sell it to someone that will take care of it. or am I missing your point completely?  are you wanting to swap the mustang stuff to the bird?  explain a little better please

Reply #2
i was just thinking the same thing.. on both counts.. there are too little birds left for more people to gut and throw them to the curb.. and an SO 5.0 in a rustang? talk about disgracing a car.. it's bad enough the birds got stuck with them
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #3
ok first of all its just a regular 302, not 302 windsor. only the 351's had that title.
second what electrical issues are u having with the tbird?
third dont take a 5.0 out of a tbird..there aint many of them around..its a STANDARD output motor witch only has 150 hp and they have speed density computers witch are horrable!! aslo have E6 heads that are junk. smaller throtttle bodys. and stupid cam shafts, and i think 17# injectors..
forth early 80's stangs are carb motors not fuel injected..not till 87 i think did they become fuel injected but they are HIGH output motors. they have speed density computers,, but E7 heads, bigger thottle body,and a better cam shaft. and i think 19# injectors. and i think they pumped out like 220 hp
early 90's stangs had the same motor just changed the computer to mass air.. much much better computer....
so save youself the time,money,and fustration and just fix the tbirds electric issues... then either keep it and enjoy it or sell it and buy a stang and just drive itt.

Reply #4
Quote from: 87tbird5.0;373080
ok first of all its just a regular 302, not 302 windsor. only the 351's had that title.

302's are part of the windsor family, unless they're BOSS or any other special title.. so he's technically right in calling it a 302 windsor

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #5
hmm never heard them called that before. i only heard it with the 351's

Reply #6
yup.. my parker funnel web intakes actually say 302W on top of where the thermostat housing bolts on

Reply #7
Mustang went to efi in 1986. However they still had the E6 head until 1987, at which point they had the more desirable E7 heads.

The Tbird/Cougar had the 150 horse standard output, aka SO as opposed to the the HO in the '87+ Stangs. (155 horse if you have an '88 Bird/Cat, due to the "dual" exhaust).

The 5.0 is a member of the Windsor family, hence why the heads interchange, the differences are bore and stroke, and the 351 has a taller deck, which means the heads are further apart, which means the intakes will NOT interchange. The 302 Boss is actually a Windsor based block, with Cleveland heads and 4 bolt mains....doubt you'll come across one of those in a Fox car, unless you're really lucky, or have a shiznit-ton of cash in your pocket...

The SO 5.0 engines had 14 LB/hour injectors, speed density EEC, and are ok for a stock car if you don't need anything even close to quick. There's nothing wrong with SD (speed density) and only fools who don't know their ass from a bucket of applesauce will say that mass air is better is on a stock engine. Stock, speed density is the reliable ticket, however, if you have or plan to mod the engine, then, and ONLY then is Mass Air needed.

Secondly, tossing around mis-information is pointless. A lot of us have been in the game for a long time, and we've posted years' worth of what works and what doesn't. Search it,  it.

Have a nice night folks.

/Rant.

To answer the original poster:

If you have a complete donor engine, that is in running condition, simply swap the engine, and the EEC. Use your existing wiring harness, none of the Mustang's wiring will plug into the Tbird.

You can also swap in the T5, but it's a little bit of work, but nothing one can't do if he/she is of the ability to walk and chew gum simultaneously. The Stang driveshaft is too short, throw it back in the Stang if you're just gonna s it, it's useless to your 'Bird. If you're gonna strip the Stang, grab the spindles, rotors, and calipers, and there's your 11" front brake setup, unless you plan to or already have that or something better...
If you can find a '94-'95 Stang GT, there'd be your 5 lug stuff, but those years had the Mass Air setup...be a little more involved as your Tbird don't have the wiring for that, with some ingenuity though, you could take needed wires from the Stang and integrate them...

In my particular instance, I used all the accessories that were on the '89 Mustang engine that I bought, as I didn't want the hassle of swapping the Tbird stuff from one engine to the other. No issues with anything. The power difference is night and day.

Good luck!
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #8
:iagree:What he said.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #9
my ADD won't allow me to read it.. same reason it's taken me 3 weeks to get to page 26 on flylear's build thread :giggle: