Skip to main content
Topic: swap questions (Read 2537 times) previous topic - next topic

swap questions

hey guys/gals! just bought a 88 t-bird 3.8 and was wondering a decent engine i can swap mine with, was thinking about a small block but i have no idea and was hoping for any advice, thank you.

swap questions

Reply #1
The simplest and cheapest upgrade would be the 5.0. Plentiful engines. "Cheap" is a relative term. It can cost a lot if you want it to, and requires some patience to find all the parts you need. I'd take time, shop around, hit the yards, andacquire everything you might need before you start. It does require some effort.

Fuel lines
motor mounts, harness swaps
computer
fuel pump
accessories
EFI setup.....etc.

If you go carb, that makes it a lot easier. It all depends on how deep you want to go into this project. Quite a few members have done the 5.0 swap into their 4 and 6 cyl cars.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

swap questions

Reply #2
If I were going V-8 I would go with an engine that's not already in that model t-bird.  351 Windsor would be nice.
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (daily driver) - T5, Short Throw, Ranger roller cam (soon to be Boport 1.5), stock turbo and TMIC (also soon to change.)

swap questions

Reply #3
427, 428 o 429!!!

swap questions

Reply #4
The only engine I'd go to other than the 5.0 would be the 351W or one of the newer style 4.6 or 5.0 engines. I needs to be able to get parts easily.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

swap questions

Reply #5
Quote from: ACCEPT;364508
427, 428 o 429!!!

I'm pretty sure a 427 or 428 FE won't fit in a Fox without major work. A 385 serries 429 or 460 bolts in pretty easily...
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

swap questions

Reply #7
do the 5.0 ho swap.relatively cheap swap with used parts. i just did one in my cougar (again) cause i spun a rod bearing

swap questions

Reply #8
I'd go 351w
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout: