Skip to main content
Topic: Supercharged 3.8l V6 swap! (Read 6321 times) previous topic - next topic

Supercharged 3.8l V6 swap!

Has anyone tried to put the 3.8 L supercharged v6 from an MN12 in a fox before?

Reply #1
in a bird/cougar or any fox? it's been done in mustangs a few times that i know of

Reply #2
Yes, it has been done around here a couple of times.  No good detailed threads, but here is one to get you started.  http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?9395-3.8-SC-in-a-Fox-tbird-cougar
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #3
It would be as simple as swapping in the engine, tossing the stock electronics out the window, and building a MegaSquirt ECU for it.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
Quote from: Chuck W;345628
It would be as simple as swapping in the engine, tossing the stock electronics out the window, and building a MegaSquirt ECU for it.

If you're doing all that you might as well put a bigger blower on it. Hell twin turbo the  thing.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
Building a MegaSquirt would be easier than messing with the stock electronics.  In haven't gotten into it myself, but there is apparently some extra hassle.

Besides, the MS would allow you to upgrade much easier in the future once you got it in and running  ;)

Reply #6
i did a ton of research on this lately and a megasquirt will rape your wallet.. the stock electronics are fine to work with if you take your time and label everything when removing it from the donor car.. you'll have to remove some things from the harness, but if you're good at reading a wiring diagram, you'll be alright

Reply #7
Quote from: turbo_88_XR7;345639
i did a ton of research on this lately and a megasquirt will rape your wallet.

I'm gonna check the "strongly-disagree" box on this.  If you want to go ape-crazy, the price can get a little high, but the MS1 (MSnSE) stuff will do more than what he needs and not cost too much.  Built one, building another, and have a couple more planned.  Most folks won't need an MS3 kit (or even an MS2 one) to do what they need to do.
Then again, an assembled MS3 unit runs only $500-600. You can build your own and knock 30-40% off that.  Basic MS1 kits will run you under $150.  Spend $100 on a harness (and get rid of old wiring) and have a ball.

Reply #8
well that's a different story.. i was told ms1 was for NA applications ONLY.. i need to stop listening to the retards at the local speed shop.. they build some nice race motors but apparently they don't know jack.. not surprised :rolleyes:

Reply #9
The base MAP sensor is a 2.5 bar unit...good to 21-22psi boost.  A basic MS1 unit is pretty basic, but adding MSnSE (MegaSquirt n Spark Extra) code ads quite a bit to the capabilities and resolution.  MSnSE adds only marginally to the cost.  The upgrade to MS2 is under $100 IIRC.  You can add to the overall cost with new sensors/connectors, but it's still not super pricey by any means for what it is.

Tuning is the real issue, but there is some auto-tuning built into some of the newer software.  Some folks don't have patience, or aptitude to do this properly, or they don't bother to RTFM.

An added bonus is you learn how things actually work.

Reply #10
i'll have to look back into it.. my next project just might have to be an SC motor in an S15 Jimmy lol

Reply #11
ok, my only serious question at this point is.. how hard is it to actually build the ECU? i've never physically messed with an ECU other than to pull a chip out and replace it with another.. or unplug it and throw it in the trash LOL

i don't mess with circuits, resisters or any of that mumbo jumbo lurking under the cover plate of an ECU

Reply #12
The ECU isn't hard to assemble. If you read through the manual a time or two before you start, and build the stimulator first (to test the MS as you go), it's just like a paint-by-number. Like Chuck, I have done a few of these, and I have a 100% success rate.

The confusion starts when you are deciding how to set up your mods and ignition schemes. It all depends on the hardware you are going to use. Just ask me or someone else if you have questions when you get into it, and we can point you in the right direction.

I'll take my current build as an example:

The turbo 5.0 TC is getting a V2.2 MS-1 with a flyback board for lo-z injectors (because I had a spare board laying around). I'd recommend using a V3.0 board kit since you can skip the flyback board if you do. Since I'd be splitting the block with 20 psi, the stock MAP is fine for me on this build. In my experience MS-1 can idle lo-z injectors up to about 52#. (I'll be using 36# for now) Any bigger and you should spend the extra 90.00 for a MS2 daughtercard, or use the Hires code and use hi-z injectors or a resistor pack. 

I am using MS-extra code to control EDIS-8. There are a couple of dospoogeented changes to the board wiring and components to use it, both on input and output. It consists of moving/changing a resistor or two, and running a couple of jumper wires.

I am also doing a mod to power the injector drivers on a dedicated power line to avoid interference on the power line from injector flyback. Just a wire change or two.

Finally there is a mod to use the stock idle valve consisting of a TIP transistor mounted on the inside of the case and a couple resistors. About 3.00 in parts and some wires. I'll have about $220.00 in the whole deal, including the purchase of the used EDIS stuff.

In my case I went with a RS Autosport wire harness for $60.00. It is a great value with nice labelled wires and high quality wire, and makes for a neat job when it's all done. GM sensors add about $25.00 but since garbage in = garbage out to the ECU, I like to use new sensors myself.

If anybody here has a MS-1 question, feel free to PM or email me and I'll answer if I can. If I can't I'll try to help find the answer. For MS-2 stuff I can't help much since I haven't built/ tuned one yet. I will probably convert my TR7 over to MS2 this Summer, though. The MS-1 has trouble with the 65# injectors in it.

Reply #13
and i'm getting dizzy.. lol i think i'm gonna have to go with an MS-1 so i can build a F.A.S.T. type setup for my project tc's new motor.. thanks for the info and any future help lol

Reply #14
whatever happened to spazz.. looks like he logged in 12/7/10.  I wonder if he ever got his running right.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]