Skip to main content
Topic: need help on a 86 t-bird v8 swap (Read 4309 times) previous topic - next topic

need help on a 86 t-bird v8 swap

i would like some help on a v8 swap for my 86-t-bird i was told i would not have to change a hole lot of stuff but im not sure i have not done this before and i know that my car could have been ordered with a v8 but as of now it has a 3.8 tbi v6 with a auto trans the drive train is bone stock i have a friend that has a 5.0 fi with the auto trans and drive shaft how hard would it be to put it in my car

thanks buggmann:burnout:

Reply #1
Just do a search man. This is a well discussed swap here. There are many threads about it here.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

buggmann

Reply #2
cool i will do that

thank you

hey what would be better carb or fi to put in my car as my car has a tbi in it now

Reply #3
I like EFI,but whether you go carb or EFI is up to personal preference.

Oh,about the window,still haven't had a chance.I'm hoping to get to the big yard next week,and I'll have a price for the window and shipping at that time.....weather permitting.The snow we got the other day slowed me down.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Buggmann

Reply #4
hey thats cool i was thinking about efi due to some of the set up would be plug and play but what about the trans would a 5.0 bolt up to what i have in the car now or would i have to change it also and if i change the trans now i was told i would have to get a new drive shaft

about the window its cool i have been driving my 53 chevy 210 out and about this week so that's cool how much snow did you get we
got some the other night but it was a light dusting :burnout:

Reply #5
the 3.8 uses a SBF bellhousing pattern so yes the transmission would work. I would almost swap to T-5 if it were me and use a 86-93 mustang donor car

Reply #6
he's told to do a search, but still asks questions that's been covered a million times. LOL!

can I get a lock topic button?? please? :)
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

buggmann

Reply #7
well i have been looking but i did not see anything about the trans i might have just looked over it no need to be rude still looking :burnout:

Reply #8
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;309066
he's told to do a search, but still asks questions that's been covered a million times. LOL!

can I get a lock topic button?? please? :)

let the guy ask his questions please.  even though its been asked before everyone is entitled to their own post and questions.

Reply #9
Personally I would prefer people actually do their own research instead of just asking for someone to give them the info.

It's not like the V6 to V8 swap is new ground here.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #10
here read these, 

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=26567&highlight=V6+V8+swap

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=21732&highlight=V6+V8+swap

buggmann

Reply #11
i have been looking and looking but not a lot of people talk about the trans part of the swap i looked at the links thank you for them i was not asking for some one to just give me the info but see everyone put v8 swaps diff and they don't put all parts of the swap up that's why i was asking about it see i would like to get as much info as i can

thanks for all the info it has helped out

buggmann

Reply #13
Quote from: 1 BADBIRD;309163
Hey Buggmann checkout my swap , its a 466 !

And what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

He's asking about a 5.0 swap, not a BB.  Apples and oranges.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Buggmann

Reply #14
Hey i will check it out i look at the video of your car i love it and that color is cool as well