Skip to main content
Topic: Swap question (Read 2920 times) previous topic - next topic

Swap question

I was wanting to replace a 5.0 with a 4.6 liter police engine and transmission in my 83 cougar. Is this possible and what will I need for the swap? Thanks, D.P.

Swap question

Reply #1
Yes it's possible and in short....everything. Get a donor car.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Swap question

Reply #2
It is possible but I do not see the advantage of doing so?  There's a lot you can do with the 5.0 and would keep it simple.

This is coming from a guy that put a Cadillac 500 in his T-bird.

I think there's someone on the forum who already done the 4.6 swap?  I also think they make K-members to do this with the correct motor mounts.

TED

Swap question

Reply #3
If you have to ask what would be needed to do this swap, it's probably not something you should attempt.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Swap question

Reply #4
It would be easier to swap the crown vic to a 83 cougar.

It is alot of work and a lot of money. If you have the knowledge and access to a junkyard for free then go for it. If not then...... well it is up to you.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Swap question

Reply #5
New K member and engine mounts, electric fans, Mustang hydroboost brake MC, 4.6L headers out of a 96-04 Mustang, cut driveshaft and trans mount.  Not a big deal.

Swap question

Reply #7
Quote from: fasterkooger;306272
I was wanting to replace a 5.0 with a 4.6 liter police engine and transmission in my 83 cougar. Is this possible and what will I need for the swap? Thanks, D.P.

Welcome to the board D.P.

I almost put a modular engine in my TC. I deemed it un-necessary and not worth it in the end. (cost and hassle)

Is there a particular reason you want to do this swap, because the swap cost would seem to be much higher than a fuel injected 5.0 or 5.8W ?  Just curious.

Alan
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Swap question

Reply #8
Thanks for the replies. I was mainly just curious 'cause someone offered me good deal on a 4.6 police package. Probably gonna go with a HO 5.0. Thanks, D.P.