Skip to main content
Topic: Quick and easy V8 swap ? (2.3 to 5.0) (Read 9003 times) previous topic - next topic

Quick and easy V8 swap ? (2.3 to 5.0)

Reply #30
Did all of the 85.5 TC's come with the 86-88 K members? 

I remember I threw an '84 TC engine in an '85 TC and I think the mounts were different.

Reply #31
Did all of the 85.5 TC's come with the 86-88 K members? 

I remember I threw an '84 TC engine in an '85 TC and I think the mounts were the same.

Reply #32
Quote from: stuntmannick;122041
I remember I threw an '84 TC engine in an '85 TC and I think the mounts were different.

Quote from: stuntmannick;122042
I remember I threw an '84 TC engine in an '85 TC and I think the mounts were the same.

Well, which is it the same or different?:shakeass: :grinno:

Reply #33
85 was the oddball.
The 85TC had different mounts than the 83-84s, which also included different adapters that bolted to the K-member.  You could not use 83-84 mounts in an 85TC or vise versa unless you also changed the bolt-on adapter plates as well.

The K-member did not change motormount-wise 83-85.  It changed in 86.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #34
Listen to Chuck he knows as much as anyone out there when it comes to x-members and mounts... And yes the x-members changed from '85 to '86 Making to distinct groups the '83-'85 and the '86-'88... I used '87  5.0 bird mounts for my swap, fit no problem...

Need STRONG motor mounts???? Chuck is your man...

Reply #35
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;122072
Listen to Chuck he knows as much as anyone out there when it comes to x-members and mounts... And yes the x-members changed from '85 to '86 Making to distinct groups the '83-'85 and the '86-'88... I used '87  5.0 bird mounts for my swap, fit no problem...

Need STRONG motor mounts???? Chuck is your man...

Thanks.
Actually the 86 Kmembers are different than the 87-88's :grinno:

Same mounts, but the control arms are different.

It's like Ford couldn't make up their mind on what to do in 85-86....:pbb:

Reply #36
Chuck, and everyone else, I'm sorry about that ealier post. There no excuse for my attitude. I'll keep a low profile after the following question and not say anything else.

Ok Chuck, got another question for you then. What years of T/C's had those hydro type motor mounts?? Before I started my destuction of my 86' T/C, I went to find a new set of mounts because both of mine had broken. They guys at the parts store told me that what I had was the "Hydro" mounts and that they were not available through them. They gave me the number to a NOS dealer and he wanted $240 for pair of Hydro's. I just said screw it and started a V8 conversion that had started with a stroked 351W (426), but that changed to the current engine that I'm swapping in.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #37
I don't know all the exact years of the isolators used.  Mainly because they are a  design.  I know you could swap the isolators between the 86 and the 87-88 cars with some minor mods (the mounts I used to design my original 86-88TC mounts years ago were 86 mounts with 87-88 isolators).  Actually the top part of the mounts is the same through '93 as are the isolators at least in regards to fitment (not claiming the same part numbers). 
Technically you could have taken upper (block) brackets from an 86-93 5.0 Tbird/Cougar, isolators from the same and used your lower brackets.
I guess it seems more confusing than it is.
You're using an aftermarket K-member now right?  Do you still have the factory 4.6 mounts? (perhaps someone could borrow them...maybe?  Hmmm?  :hick: )

Reply #38
I'm currently still using the original 86' K-member and the mounts are from the 93' MKVIII I took the engine out of.  There is like an 1/4 inch difference between the two on each side. There is enough room on each side to move the tube/hole over to match up with each other. I haven't yet mocked up the engine/tranny in the car. Those measurements were taken from both K-members after both engines had been removed.

Also regarding the T/C mounts that broke on my car. They looked like regular mounts, 2 metal brackets (top and bottom) with a rubber biscuit inbetween and a bolt going all the way thru. My engine was only being held in by the tranny mount. It had shifted over to the passenger side. I stopped driving the car when I noticed something just didn't feel right.

John

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #39
Yeah, there is only a minor difference between the lower brackets on the Fox and early MN-12 cars. 

The problem with the stock mounts like in your TC is the fact that the isolators did not have a bolt going "all the way through" but instead each face of the bushing fastens seperately....that's why the stock mount brackets had all of the safety stops on them.

You interested in letting me borrow those Mk8 mounts to look at for a couple weeks?  PM me.

Reply #40
Chuck, sent you a pm.
Also could my mounts have been from a 2.3L mustang?? There was no safety brackets on my mounts at all, nothing that interlocked anyway.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #41
No..the Mustang mounts did not fit the 86-88 TCs

Actually I misspoke on the interlocks.  The 5.0s had them, as did the later SC mounts.