Skip to main content
Topic: Quick and easy V8 swap ? (2.3 to 5.0) (Read 9002 times) previous topic - next topic

Quick and easy V8 swap ? (2.3 to 5.0)

OK.. I have a really nice turbo coupe.. let's say I want to pull out the 2.3 and go completely through it and build it up, but because of kids, budget constraints etc, I fully expect that whole process to take a year or more. I'm talking about a fully done up 2.3 with a Boport head etc..

I don't want the car to sit for over a year without being able to drive it, so I'd like to drop a carbed V8 in it.

Since I wouldn't be going to a fuel injected 5.0, wouldn't the swap be considerably easier to do?

Some concerns would be:

cooling
fuel delivery
exhaust
clutch/bellhousing/tranny
spark
motor mounts
Oil Pan

Cooling: Well.. The car has a huge 4 core aluminum radiator in it already with electric fans (one temp sensing and one manually activated from in car) so cooling shouldn't be an issue.

Fuel Delivery.. Is there some sort of adjustable regulator or something similar that will allow me to keep the TC tank and internal fuel pump and let me run a fuel line to an aftermarket 4bbl carb? I'll also need to change the throttle cable over to a carbed Mustang version I think..

Exhaust.. I'm assuming some sort of Mustang shorty headers will fit in the engine bay? The car has a nice 3" single exhaust on it now I could tap in to by just having the local custom exhaust place make me a Y pipe from the headers to some point on the existing system.

Clutch/bellhousing/tranny..  Car has the factory turbo coupe T5 transmission. If I'm not going for huge horsepower, is there a way to retain that transmission it it's current location ? (so the shifter stays where it is). and.. does the current 2.3 bellhousing bolt up to a 5.0?

Spark.. aftermarket ignition coil.. shouldn't be a big deal?

Motor mounts..  V8 Tbird mounts?

Oil pan.. Is there a specific one that is a drop in? Is there an issue using the turbo coupe K member?

I know it would be much easier to grab another running TC motor and just drop it in and go.. But I'm thinking I'd like to try a carbed V8 swap for the fun of it..as long as it isn't a huge hassle. Seems like it shouldn't be too too hard since it won't be fuel injected, it's already a stick, and the cooling system is bulletproof.

What do you think? opinions / info appreciated~
Kev Schofield
86 TC - 59K
~~~~~~~~~~~
85, 86, 87, 88 TC's
(gone but not forgotten)

Reply #1
The radiator *should* be fine, it sounds like you have a good one now.

The k-member will be fine, just use a stock fox body 5.0 pan, either a Mustang, or a V8 Tbird pan will be fine.
You'll need a bellhousing for a V8/T5, again, Mustang, but...you'll need to swap out your hydraulic clutch mechanism for a cable and pedals from a Stang.

Grab some Stang shorty headers, and a cheap h-pipe, and have a decent exhaust shop weld it in for ya.

For mounts, you'll need to either find some T-bird/cougar stockers, as the '86-'88 mounts are original only to Bird/Cougars of those years..Stang mounts will NOT work on these years unless  you change the K-member. Also see ChuckW.

For fuel delivery, I'm not so sure about, I've heard from numerous sources you can use an adjustable FPR, other people have said it won't work..I have no real world exerience with this yet.

Good luck!

Edit: it appears you have an '86 TC, so you should already have the cable clutch, that's a plus if you're going to run the 5.0 for a while, as the older Mustangs had the cable clutch as well, not sure when they went to a hyd setup, maybe around '94..? Also depending on build date, you *may* be able to use the Mustang mounts, not sure if there was a cutoff date, or it was year-long in 1986.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
Ummm...couldn't you just spend a couple hundred bucks on a beater? Would be a hell of a lot easier...I think you'd be opening a can of worms at best, you'd have to change a bunch of stuff to put in a V8 and then change it all back.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #3
I see his point about wanting to be able to drive the car.  That's part of the reason I'm delaying the I6 swap in the 83 and just refreshing a shortblock...to get the car back on the road....

That being said, how about just picking up a used 2.3T longblock and rebuild that?  That way you save the double work of R&R the 2.3T/5.0 stuff.  I know you can find a useable one for $400 or there abouts.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
Once you put a V8 in it, you won't want to go back. :D

There is no FPR that is made to drop pressure from 45ish to 6psi.  You might get a carb regulator to work for a while, but it will eventually rupture.  Hope you don't trash a needle and seat when it happens.  Also, it will restrict fuel flow to the point it won't run properly, especially at higher revs where it needs fuel the most.

Pretty easy to convert your in-tank chassis to be a pickup only, and run an external low-pressure carb pump.  I just did it on mine.
1984 Thunderbird V8

Reply #5
If the car runs good just pick up another 2.3T like Chuck W said. Once you change everything over to a V8 it'll be a pain to change back. Besides a 2.3T is more unique than a 5.0, and the car's a Turbo Coupe to begin with.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
I appreciate the input thus far..

Believe me, I know building another long block would be the sensible thing to do.. but I have no sense. I want to use my original motor for the build up as I know it's history and maintenence records from day 1. It's a 59K motor that is clean, always has had synthetics and has always been kept well tuned with geniune Ford parts. No surprises when I tear it down and get into it.

I'm inclined to do the V8 thing for a couple reasons.. I want to drive the car next summer with the torquey feeling as opposed to the whooshy feeling of the turbo. (those of you who have had both will understand what I mean) Also, doing a carbed, cammed, Ford smallblock will sound very cool (I told you I have no sense.I'm looking for the 'cool sound') and if I really like it, I'll leave it in for awhile and put the turbo 4 back in when the time is right.. it won't hurt to have a rebuilt, low miles original motor on hand.

I love the turbo 4 and it's potential.. my car is quite fast the way it sits..but I think I'd like to have something a little different for awhile while I take my time on the motor build up. I don't really want a beater (I've got a great Aerostar XLT extended body van for a winter car and parts runner)..I want to be able to drive the TC next summer ,not just let it sit and wait.

I'm going to keep doing research.. I need ot look into the low pressure fuel option.. Everything else seems like it will fall into place pretty easily.

..and besides, I'm under no emissions laws or anything like that up here in NH (live free or die baby) so how cool will it be to open the hood on my TC and show someone a dressed up Ford blue V8 with headers :)
Kev Schofield
86 TC - 59K
~~~~~~~~~~~
85, 86, 87, 88 TC's
(gone but not forgotten)

Reply #7
Quote from: turbokev;117153
Believe me, I know building another long block would be the sensible thing to do.. but I have no sense. I want to use my original motor for the build up as I know it's history and maintenence records from day 1. It's a 59K motor that is clean, always has had synthetics and has always been kept well tuned with geniune Ford parts. No surprises when I tear it down and get into it.

I would say you're missing the point of rebuilding an engine, but you say yourself that you have no sense....:dunno:

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #8
Quote from: 46Tbird;117110
Once you put a V8 in it, you won't want to go back. :D

There is no FPR that is made to drop pressure from 45ish to 6psi. .

4309 mallory
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #9
Quote from: Red_LX;117154
I would say you're missing the point of rebuilding an engine, but you say yourself that you have no sense....:dunno:

I'm not sure I follow you? What point am I missing?

Are you saying it doesn't matter what engine I start with since once it's rebuilt it will be 'like new' anyways?
Kev Schofield
86 TC - 59K
~~~~~~~~~~~
85, 86, 87, 88 TC's
(gone but not forgotten)

Reply #10
Hey Kev, how long you planning to take to rebuild the engine?

Even a novice should be able to have a 2.3T out, machined, built, and back in within 5-7 days...
1984 Thunderbird V8

Reply #11
Quote from: 46Tbird;117200
Hey Kev, how long you planning to take to rebuild the engine?

Even a novice should be able to have a 2.3T out, machined, built, and back in within 5-7 days...

:grinno:  I know what's 'possible' to do.. but the reality of my life with 2 kids under 3 years old is that I'll be short on funds and time..

I'll be able to get the motor out and onto a stand on a Saturday, no issues there. But then the disassembly, cleaning, sending out the head, picking up all the other little things I want to do like ported intake manifolds, a Bobs log, new turbo etc will take time to save up for and install on the motor.

In theory, I could just start saving the money now and when I have everything together that I need, make a mad dash to complete the car quickly.. Problem is, it'll take me awhile to save up the extra money to do all that I want to do and the car needs valve seals pretty badly right now.. It smokes like crazy at start up. So, if I pull the current motor and put a V8 in by springtime, I'll be able to drive the car and enjoy it while I take my time getting everything together for the 2.3 buildup.

I'm in this car for the long haul.. it's completely rust and dent free and I'm not inclined to get rid of it anytime soon.. so even if the 2.3 sits on the stand and takes 2 years to finally complete, I'm OK with that as long as I have something else in the car to drive it.. and the V8 route is appealing to me.
Kev Schofield
86 TC - 59K
~~~~~~~~~~~
85, 86, 87, 88 TC's
(gone but not forgotten)

Reply #12
Far out.

Seals are cheap and easy, could be a quick fix to get it running right in the meantime.

Seriously, once you get a V8 in there, you won't ever take it out.  I promise.  Dumping a lot of money in an engine on the stand is gonna seem silly when it runs just as good (or better) with what's in it..

Man, I would kill for a clean black low-mile dead stock '85-86 TC.
1984 Thunderbird V8

Reply #13
Quote from: 46Tbird;117214

Man, I would kill for a clean black low-mile dead stock '85-86 TC.

Mine's silver.. (that black one was the only picture I could find when I made the banner LOL)

Here's a picture..

and, if you want to see some under hood shots, here's a link to the write up I did on my intercooler install..

http://home.comcast.net/~redlineguy/FMIC.html

We'll see what happens.. I'm not going to start anything till after the Holidays are over~
Kev Schofield
86 TC - 59K
~~~~~~~~~~~
85, 86, 87, 88 TC's
(gone but not forgotten)

Reply #14
Nice car!

I've never seen a 4wd Thunderbird, you guys sure have interestingly optioned cars up there! :D
1984 Thunderbird V8