Skip to main content
Topic: prothane motor mounts (Read 2780 times) previous topic - next topic

prothane motor mounts

Any thoughts, opinions, alternatives?  Looking for something to absorb lots of torque.
1987 TC

prothane motor mounts

Reply #1
What year???
Have you checked with chuck???
I have his mounts as do many others on here and i must say,top notch!

prothane motor mounts

Reply #2
Looks like you have an 87-88TC?

Like dominator asked, what year, but also what engine.

I'd be surprised if you found anything from Prothane that would work...
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

prothane motor mounts

Reply #3
88 tbird w/302, but looking to drop a 400/351C in, should be same motor mounts?
1987 TC

prothane motor mounts

Reply #4
The 86-88 T-Bird/Cougar use unique mounts - Mustang mounts will not work. Because of limited demand new mounts are unavailable for 86-88 models (except Chuck's very excellent units). If you wish to use Mustang mounts you'll need a Mustang K-member and lower control arms
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

prothane motor mounts

Reply #5
thanks, that's all I needed to know.  I'd be interested in Chuck's mounts "just-in-case".  I was reading Mustang forums and they all mentioned using 302 mounts to bolt 351C's in.  I had reason to believe the Tbird, would be different.  Thanks again.

edit: just looked at the prothane site, they list mustangs only. 

so, with Chuck's mounts, how are they different?  still bolt up to a 351C or 400?  Or would I have to provide a plate?
1987 TC

prothane motor mounts

Reply #6
If 302 mounts work for the 351C, then theoretically mine could work, but I don't know for certain.  My mounts fit the 302/351W in the 86-88 Tbirds/Cougars and include everything from the engine to the K-member.

If you had an 83-85 Tbird you could use "Mustang" mounts.

There are pics of my 86-88 mounts HERE

prothane motor mounts

Reply #7
nice pics...what are the other mounts for, 2.3?  And how much?
1987 TC

prothane motor mounts

Reply #8
My other applications are covered HERE

The mounts are running $135-140 at this time.

prothane motor mounts

Reply #9
302 mounts will work on a 351C. they will not work on a 400. M series motors use a unique motor mount.

i stuck a 400 in an 86 capri once.....
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

prothane motor mounts

Reply #10
400 in a Capri?, headers, or manifolds?  I've been reading about the 400's having header fitment issues.  Anyhow, I'd be interested in the mounts, but I won't get to it til after winter...just in my planning stage.  Thanks, Chuck, I'll be in contact after Christmas, if that's ok.

Gumby, what mounts did you use?
1987 TC

prothane motor mounts

Reply #11
custom solid mounts
the car never made it a completed stage. hadnt worked out an exhaust plan yet, but i did test fit the stock manifolds in there. was very tight, but they did go on with some massaging.
the tunnel was on the small side for the big block bell pattern C6 as well.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

prothane motor mounts

Reply #12
i thought 351C had different mounts than 351W and 302... but i must be thinkin wrong.

prothane motor mounts

Reply #13
if you want a ready to go 400FMX (351/400m size with SB bellhousing pattern) engine that has 351M internals and is .060.  Everything in it is from a reman job but new.  Can get pics.  Yes I am trying to puppies it off on someone, Tired of having it sitting around.

Methos