Skip to main content
Topic: Carputer part 3 (Read 8130 times) previous topic - next topic

Carputer part 3

I know some of you are getting sick of reading about this, so if you dont want to, dont.

Anyways,.....

I have a new way that I want to do this. I want to use both linux on a desktop, and windows on a laptop and integrate the two together.

The desktop will store all mp3's as  well as video's and things of the like, due to linux virus's wont work portion. Basically just play surround sound. I will have it set up as surround sound, not for my stereo listening pleasures, but because I can. Not because it is practical or that it will work better. Worse case senerio, I am out the cost of a extra set of cables. Anyways, dvd's will play through linux as well. linux will not have any dvd/cd drive. but it will be able to acess all of the laptops drives in windows. There will also be a tv tuner as well as fm radio tuner.

The Laptop, running windows, will have a wireless internet card that uses cell phone frequencies, basically saying that the internet will work as long as a cell phone does. It will also have a wifi/wireless network card. It will also run gps, and probably have some sort of backup/rear veiw mirror just for kicks. I will also use windows 2000 on this laptop, all windows xp drivers and applications will work under 2000. At least this is how it has been in my experiance.

So now I have

Desktop, with:
MP3 play back
DVD accessable, with hardware decoder
Wireless internet, after laptop has started
awsome reliability, being that i am running linux, with only one porpouse  in mind.

And a Laptop, with:
GPS
Wireless internet
Decent reliability
low power requirements
low shock componants
Decent performance for a cheaper price

I will use a simple switch to switch between Keyboard and mouse. as well as monitor.

I will use a simple small Keyboard, prolly hidden under the seat, maybe molded somewhere like the horn. and a track ball mouse molded into the center console.

I will also have a shut down controller used with the desktop, while the laptop I will just set to hybernate every time it loses power and runs off of the battery. I am not too picky about the laptop, because I dont even need a working screen with this setup. I am going to shoot for 1.1ghz or higher so I can maybe play some games and things of the like.

Tell me what you all think. This is my final setup.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Carputer part 3

Reply #1
Sounds cool, I just dont understand why you need 2 pc's to do the operation of 1.. Check out this site for some nice keyboards and some small ones, they even have ont that will fold up..  you can also pick up the KVM switch youll need for transfering mouse/KB/mon operation.  and they have a Wi-fi sig locator...  But for that I would just recommend netstumbler.

www.thinkgeek.com

Carputer part 3

Reply #2
Haystack I would really consider only one PC.  I'm not even sure that linux can use a network drive through windows.  I've never had to do that.  To run the surround sound you will more than likely need an external amplifier.  Even high power sound cards could not power car speakers correctly.  All of those computer surround setups that are of any quality have an amp built in. 

Personally I would run one of those cool mini ATX machines.  Or atleast a mobo from one as it would fit anywhere.  If you have no experiance with Linux be prepared to stay up for hours searching for help on the internet when your DVD player wont start because it doesn't have a required package.
One 88

Carputer part 3

Reply #3
1. linux can use networked drives on windows boxes with the right modules but it is a pain.

2. linux can have virii, just no one wrights many for them due to the number of flavors out there.

3. just use one machine, that makes no sense why to use 2. I don't understand?

4. your reliablility goes right out the windows as soon as you wirelessly network the two together and try to get any really functionallity.

Carputer part 3

Reply #4
I have networked linux to windows drives several times with no problems, same with the wireless network through windows. The whole reason between two pc's, is so that if I just want to listen to mp3's I dont have any hassel. I am going to use a mini-Itx motherboard,(about 6.5X6.5). The problem with that board is that it is alot smaller power wise, and in many respects, closely represents a 200mhz machine. I am also not going to run a wireless network. Only a regular old network hub, or a patch(is it a patch for the two?) cord.

I am not a linux freak, but I am fairly experianced with it. I will have no real difficutly installing packages.

The only reason for running two pc's is because windows has 1 million times as much in the way of GPS software. That is the main reason why I am using it.

There will be external amplifiers as well.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Carputer part 3

Reply #5
i can see where it would work, but I can also see that if you just build the one windows box, and be done with it, it would be a bit easier, though some of the media packages for gnutella and debian are pretty sweet.

Carputer part 3

Reply #6
man, why does every laptop with a busted screen go for so much? I am just looking for a garbage laptop and can't get one for less then $300 on ebay.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Carputer part 3

Reply #7
Quote from: Haystack
man, why does every laptop with a busted screen go for so much? I am just looking for a garbage laptop and can't get one for less then $300 on ebay.

Because they are in high demand, everybody and there brother wan'ts one.  I got my old one for 20 bucks! :flip:
One 88

Carputer part 3

Reply #8
how much machine are you looking for? I might be able to swing you a 300 mhz with 128 meg with a screen that is "okay". pretty cheap.

Carputer part 3

Reply #9
hmm more then that unfortinately. I have a pretty good shot at a pentium 4 for now, but I will let you know.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Carputer part 3

Reply #10
Haha item number 6853865859   

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6853865859&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

$219 shipped, and all it really needs is an  inverter, and minor repair to the power supply in thingy.

Hmm, after readinig some specs here http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review143_specs714.html it looks like it has problems with overheating till I do a bios flash as well.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Carputer part 3

Reply #11
I have an amd 2400+ Compaq Presario 2100, everything works. wife is done with school and it is just sitting aournd. If you are looking for something more that speed. dvd/cdrw windows xp pro (and i can throw in any applications you want). Make offer.. heh, i sound like a pushy sales man!! I just have a ton of computer shiznit laying around most of the time. so if you are looking for anything in paticular let me know. I must may have it.

Carputer part 3

Reply #12
well I did actually win that auction, so I am gonna have to say no,...

What sort of parts do you have? any mini atx motherboards? I am also looking for a radeon video card
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Carputer part 3

Reply #13
hmmm... no radeon. only nvidia, and no extra video cards worth mentioning right now. I have a video capture card, but it is only so-so.

no mini atx boards, one atx board with a broken cpu tab (usless), and a couple cases (atx) and 1 or 2~350-400 watt atx psu's

modems, netgear NIC (no 3coms laying around) and a sblive or two somewhere.. and some older misc stuff in a box somewhere i would have to dig out. I may have some 16 meg agp cards from some old dells, but I would have to look. middle of packing so I would have to go through some boxes, but let me know and I am like a computer junk yard, ticks my wife off. :P

Carputer part 3

Reply #14
for the capture card define so so? card or usb ?I am assuming card since you said that.

I am pretty much the same way. I prolly have 2 or 3 times as many network cards in my room then you have.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.