Skip to main content
Topic: 3.8 Hesitation/Ignition surging (Read 1179 times) previous topic - next topic

3.8 Hesitation/Ignition surging

I am getting some really bad hesitation in my car. It only happens at what seems random times. I will be driving along and them my tack will start jumping around and when that happens it hesitates. Then after a minute or two the tack will stop jumping and the engine will run like normal. I found the artical on coolcats about the 3.8 ignition surging and it says the problem could be the TFI, but it doesn't sound like that is the problem because it doesn't stall or not start. It also says it could be the TPS, IAC, spark plug wires, ignition module, computer, or spark plugs.

I checked the TPS and it is at 1.004 volts and increases smoothly up to about 5 volts. I am not positive how to check the IAC. Someone said to unplug it while the car is idling and the rpms should drop to about 400-500. I did this and the rpms stayed at 850. When it is plugged in the plunger moves out with the throttle. The spark plugs are fairly new, but I will check them anyway. I need new plug wires anyway so I am going to pick up a set. I think the problem is either the IAC or the ignition coil, but I am not positive. If someone has any info on this it would really help. Oh and sorry for the long post. :ies: