Skip to main content
Topic: Evolution II.....SEFI upgrade ..... updated 10-23-2015 (Read 118439 times) previous topic - next topic

Evolution II.....SEFI upgrade ..... updated 10-23-2015

Reply #75
Quote from: Cougar8775;316161
so jerry do you always give your phone some pic time lol.

Sure why not, I'll take a pic of almost anything.

So I decided to mod, the mod of the vert.  The car originally had 3 pt safety belts, until they cut them off and made them into lap belts. Personally, I don't have that warm and fuzzy feeling while I'm driving the car without the shoulder belt. Which is really odd, seeing that when I first started driving, seat belts weren't even legally required, and I never wore them. I must be getting old. lol

So anyway, I guess this is the official start of Evolution II. There's a lot of things that need to be done on the interior of the car, so I decided to address those things first. Next winter, I'll probably start the body work, and restoration. I will not be doing any mods to the motor, except headers, and a dual exhaust. I'll also be cleaning it up, and the usual, replacing any gaskets, and minor maintenance.

With that little summery out of the way, on with the project.........

I put a lot of thought on how I was going to install the seatbelts for almost a year now. I decided to use the original retractors and mounting locations wit a few minor mods.

1. the car no longer has a place to bolt the retractors, so I floor mounted them close to the same area where they once were.

2. There is no upper mounting location for the belt to be attached too. I must make one. (oh fun)

after collecting all the necessary parts to install the seatbelts, I decided that today would be the day to start the mod.

first After some more thinking, and a last minute change in design of the upper mounting ring, I started...

Here's the new area where the upper ring will be attached. I changed this idea 2x before I went with this design.

making sure the rear panel still fits

A dry fit of the parts that need to be bolted

Everything bolted down

Need to install these to keep the belt from falling on the floor in the back.

Now i need to figure the correct area to cut a slot for the belt to come through. This seems to be the area.

A look on the inside of the maze that the belt has to follow, to get to the top. I still need to install a roller, or sled of some sort that will make sure the belt is free flowing around the corner of the back panel. I already have 2 ideas for that. but for the most part. everything is working great. I even installed the button in the door jamb to retract the belt.

Here's an idea, of how it will all look

It was a good start for ideas. I'm still going to weld the L bracket I made, and weld another brace frome the wheel well to the bracket, to make sure it's secure. that will be in the next part of the project. after everything is working good, I'll copy everything on the other side. It should only take a few hrs to do the drivers side, unlike the 6 hrs of experimenting today.

So that's the beginning.....
the next project after the belts, will be installing a full center console. and possibly a pass, power seat track.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #76
isn't that going to be a pain to get into the rear of the car? and rattle in the wind with the top down when its just you in the car?
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #77
It will be no different to get in the back, compared to all the other cars. the belt folds back and you get in. There isn't really a lot of wind in the car after it hits the windshield. paper will blow around a bit , but I don't think there will be a problem with the tension on a unused belt, if there is, I'll just fold it back as if someone was getting in. The car doesn't go faster then 45 mph anyway to worry about extreme air current in the car.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #78
Good idea dude. I think it'll work out alright!

Reply #79
That's about the same setup as my wife's '01 Mustang convertible.  There's really no better way you could do it.  I don't blame you for wanting the shoulder belts!
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #80
Ahhh....re-engineering what Car Craft did 25 years ago. Gotta love it. ;)

I felt the same way about the lap-only seat belts and changed them out for 3-point belts in 1998, while I was recovering from gall bladder surgery. It's a much more secure feeling now (and it's nice to keep my guts on the inside LOL).

In my case, I used Mustang-style belts...they mount a bit differently than the T-Bird/Cougar belts, but the end result was the same:

This got them side-mounted and more flush with the panel, and out of the way of the top cylinders.

I like what you did, Jerry, that's a great idea.

Reply #81
Quote from: EricCoolCats;316389
Ahhh....re-engineering what Car Craft did 25 years ago. Gotta love it. ;)

I felt the same way about the lap-only seat belts and changed them out for 3-point belts in 1998, while I was recovering from gall bladder surgery. It's a much more secure feeling now (and it's nice to keep my guts on the inside LOL).

In my case, I used Mustang-style belts...they mount a bit differently than the T-Bird/Cougar belts, but the end result was the same:

This got them side-mounted and more flush with the panel, and out of the way of the top cylinders.

I like what you did, Jerry, that's a great idea.

Thanks, took a whole year to come up with that.
I really didn't want to re-do the panels back there, and I like the little armrests. I still have to think about making the belt path area, as the belt needs to have absolutely no slack from the retractor on the floor to the shoulder. If there is, the belt won't hold anyone back in the seat, which could result in death, or even worse. :hick:
I have a crazy idea formulating.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #82
Safety inspection today. Only cost $10 for the car, now that it's 25 years old.
Oh yea, it passed too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #83
Jerry,I love the vert,but,never liked the spoiler.Are you keeping it or doing something a little different.I think the spoiler would look better if it went to the edges of the body without overhang,not just the width of the trunk.I did that to a Bird I had a long time ago.Regretted it.The Cobra wheels look great on a white car.What color is the vert going to be?Without having to replace every inch of sheet metal,you have a head start. I know there are some aspects that will be a different challenge than the hard top.What's in store for the engine?Will it be left pretty much as it is or do have you have supercharged,twin turbo,dual quad,EFI,CFI,6 speed,power in store? LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #84
the spoiler is coming off, and staying off until I eventually find something that could replace it. I have enough black paint to spray that car too, if I choose to.... the motor will be left as is, and I'll be putting headers and catless duals on it. other then that, the front seats are going to be re-upholstered.....I found matching NOS fabric , and have it being sent here next week. the only other mods other then the 3 point seat belts, will be the full center console. I got one that matches the inside color perfect. I will probably leave the column shift until I find the required parts for a floor shifter.

By the way, is there a way to put a gear selector indicator on a TC speedo cluster. mine doesn't have one, and I never really know where I put the shifter unless I count and step on the gas. lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #85
Good question about the shift indicator.I'd think that one could be integrated by cutting the small rectangle hole in the cluster and installing the indicator.I have about 4 or 5 extra clusters in the garage (Turbo Coupe clusters.....none with speedos).Do you want me to add one to the stuff I'll be sending for you to mess with?I'll be grabbing the plugs and column covers next week for you.Then I can send the care package along.Let me know what else you may be looking for.I'll try to pull the guts from an extra column shift car as well for the indicator.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #86
Yes, if you have one to spare that I could try that on, and any extra indicator parts, that will help a ton. I also have the old parts from the bird to If I really mess things up with the shift indicator. I think they're still on the column.
This is like going in reverse of everyone else....I'm putting in a column indicator instead of taking one out. lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #87
I'll drop a cluster in the box for you,and any column indicator parts I can find.I'l let you know proabably Wednesday what I come up with.

Reply #88
Thanks, your package will be out to you on Monday. Sorry, I got a little busy last week.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #89
I'm in NO hurry at all.I have other stuff keeping me busy.I have a local guy make a nice offer for my current engine,so,I may be swapping the new one in pretty soon...as in a week or so.That would be awesome.His (the engine's buyer) grandfather has a huge shop with every tool known to mankind,and more.It'll make the swap a breeze.The engine is ready.All I need are a couple of shorty spark plugs,throwout bearing,and fluids.Good to go.