Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1143674 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #60
 go man go!!!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #61
ive seen a few quarter panels replaced and everyone ive watched do it they used the body line to cut and hang it from. might be easier for ya. But  good job! You enspire me to fix up my 84!
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #62
Way to go man, keep it up!
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #63
WOW that's amazing what a talent to be able to work with metal like that....that's just so cool seeing those panels there looks SOO much better.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #64
Thanks guys, It's a start.
I'm glad to not see the ground any more from inside the car.
I still have a few more pieces that I need to cut out and replace on that side. Mainly around the e-brake posts.
I can't believe how solid it got, and its only tacked.
I also started welding the floor solid to the frame.
I'll probably also weld the sub frame connectors on while I'm still on that side.

I'm still glad that the other side of the car is in better shape.

ive seen a few quarter panels replaced and everyone ive watched do it they used the body line to cut and hang it from. might be easier for ya. But  good job! You enspire me to fix up my 84!

The problem with that is, I use the backing method for panel repair.
It reinforces the metal, welds with less distortion, and stops blow through.
It also makes the panel lay perfectly flat with the old panel.

You never want to replace a 50"panel on a body line, just in case it distorts.
The rule of thumb for panel repairing is --- If you don't have a full replacement, then try to make the repair as small as possible.
-- Less cutting-- less welding --less filling --less problems.

Although I have hung panels before. I would never do it that way again unless I had to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will now start, "Question and Answer Time"
I know someone has to have a few. lol
Jerry
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Links

Reply #65
Here's some links for the products that I use

Jerry

PICKELX (rust converter/ metal prep)
http://www.orisonmarketing.com/picklex/picklex20.html

ZERO RUST (encapsulator)
http://www.zero-rust.com/

Fusor seam sealer (the cheapest price i've found)
http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/Lord_Fusor_FUS_800EZ_p/fus-800ez.htm

Pre-Bent Sheet Metal (great quality)
http://www.millsupply.com/

Cheapest price on welding equipment and supplies
http://www.indianaoxygen.com/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #66
I've also been logging my hours on my project.
As of Sunday, I'm up to 30 hrs. from the first day pulling the interior and front end. That includes the 3-4 hrs checking the frame for rot during Christmas

Seems like longer when you can't work on it for a while.
I may get e couple hrs in on sunday.
I'll keep you posted.

Jerry
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #67
Truly impressive work...

With my dislike of rust, I'd have taken the easy out and bought another car... I've junked far better ones that yours...

Reply #68
I must commend you.  I still have my 92 rustbelt SC that i can't let go (ive even got new rocker panels to replace the rotted out ones).  I bought an auction 88 cougar down south (i moved here recently) and its 100% rust free.  Its a still alot of work...but man, bolts can be removed, I'm not always picking rust out of my hair after working on it..etc. 

Also, I love the use of Hard disk magnets.

Reply #69
Today I finished up some welding

Here's my patch over the subframe. It's not that pretty from the inside, but after the dynamat (or something along those lines) goes in, no one will ever see that patch.
the underneath, only has 2 seam lines across it.

I welded the seams about every 1 1/2" on the front of the car.
Its tough to see after I sealed it up.
I figure its better then a couple spot welds.

They're a little hard to find after I quickly took the grinder to them.
every place the metal was joined got welded.
the seam across the top and across the side got end welded and ground down smooth.

A quick side shot of the lower rocker front that was made last week.
also patched a hole about half way up. A little above the hood cable

Next week, I should be able to finish the floor repairs to the back floor and any other parts on the drivers side.
after that, I'll seal everything I replaced, and then seam seal all the joints. after that sets, the entire side will be ready for a 2nd coat to permanently seal everything inside and out over the seam sealer.
The 2nd coat will be black.
It will also be the finish coat. Since I don't plan on driving it in bad weather ever again. I see no reason for undercoating it. The encapsulator is a satin black for frames and underbody, and also UV resistant.

edit: 32 hrs. into it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #70
This is so freakin' cool! Lookin great. Love the floor, that looks so awesome, all clean welded up sheetmetal strewn about! :D  You're really blastin' along. Like a peterbilt 379 through a 150 year old blown out barn.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #71
Simply amazing what you are doing. you have more ambition than I do.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #72
All pics taken to this point, are now on my cougar web site. (getting organized)
Also started captions on pics on day 1 section.

http://www.daminc.myjalbum.net/
Web site is also in my sig.

Jerry
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Project update

Reply #73
This has been a busy month for collecting parts.

Just got my SFC's and side rail material this morning.
Waiting for my frame braces to arrive.

While I'm waiting for the braces, I'll be taking the parts that I need off this Bird. I'll also start fabricating my new frame rails.
My car will now have cornering lamps and the full auto lighting package installed in it

The motor will be pulled when the weather gets a few degrees warmer, and sent to the machine shop.
The C-6 thats in it. will also visit a shop as well

I hope to find the rest of my motor upgrade while I'm putting the body back on the car. I also hope to get everything together for this next coming winter so I can put the motor in during the long winter months.

I'll shoot some pics this weekend to keep everyone up to speed with the project
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #74
daminc, You'll like those corner lights... we have them on our cougar also...Thanks for all of your photos. :cool: