Skip to main content
Topic: Holy Shnikees...New T/A!? (Read 11179 times) previous topic - next topic

Holy Shnikees...New T/A!?

This week on AutoExtremist.com, a possible 2011 Pontiac Trans Am reveal seemingly out of the blue:

Quote from: AutoExtremist
This concept - obviously based on the new Camaro and designed by David Byron of ASC Creative Services - was actually “on the table” for GM honchos to consider last summer when ASC was still intimately involved in a lot of advanced projects for the company. But the involvement (and money) dried up, and the idea of resurrecting the Firebird Trans Am was dead in the water. Until now.

If Pontiac is going to exist, then it needs this car. And the beauty of it is that at least initially the assembly of a Firebird Trans Am just like this would be a no-brainer, cost wise. We’re talking a new front fascia (including head lamps, grille inserts and fog lights); a hood with rear-facing shaker cold air intake (of course); a new rear fascia with specific tail lamps; a rear spoiler and dual exhausts; specific rocker panels with additional fender/skirt trim; specific color availability, custom alloy wheels and all the appropriate Pontiac, Firebird and Trans Am identification; and on the inside specific seats, steering wheel, I/P cluster, door insert trim and shifter. In other words, a no-brainer to put together.

And for the reveal...zOMG:

*splursh*

Reply #1
Pontiac will not build that.....

The front end is entirely too nice looking for their current design team.

I call BS  :hick:
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
Quote from: V8Demon;259518
Pontiac will not build that.....

The front end is entirely too nice looking for their current design team.

I call BS  :hick:

Agreed!

Reply #3
Ew.

i cant see it in production either.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #4
It's not too bad looking. It's no Mustang, but not too bad for a GM.
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #5
Looks like a Camaro Photoshopped

Reply #6
isnt pon on the chopping block??

Reply #7
:spit: :screwy: :shoothead :toilet: :barf: :barf:
Just my opinion mind you...lol.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #8
I'd LOVE to see that, looks awesome....but that aint happenin. :rollin:  :(
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #9
What happened to no new performance cars?  I'd consider this one.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #10
By the time it came into production the front would be all slanted back, and it will look like the G8
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #11
Very obvious it's a photoshop. I like the looks of it, though (I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Firebirds).

Unfortunately when you combine upcoming 35MPG fuel economy standards, volatile gas prices, and GM's bleak outlook (especially concerning Pontiac) I would put the likelyhood of this car ever seeing the road at about zero.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #12
The Pontiac Division will soon cease to exist. This isn't happening. They don't even know if there will still be a G8 a three or four years time. It looks great, but so did other photoshopped Firebirds I've seen based on the new Camaro. This is the way all new projects for Pontiac will come about, though. Developed by other divisions, converted or completely restyled by Buick's team of designers. No more literal Pontiac projects anymore.

In my opinion, this would be a really bad move for GM. If the Firebird/Trans-Am were to come back, Pontiac needs to have a modern design, not retro. The Camaro already fills that slot. Making a Trans-Am now would steal half of the Camaro's sales and also make GM even more of a joke for not coming up with a new design. Retro Cues, sure, but not a retro body design.

Reply #13
there are no turn signals on the front.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #14
As of yesterday in Motor Trend, they were saying that GM guys will be lucky if GM even gives the go ahead for the Z/28. This car is fiction and will obviously never come out of GM looking THAT good they'd hack it up. DVP is 100% right, they botch it up so bad it'd look like a Grand Prix like the GTO did.