Skip to main content
Topic: Cash for Clunkers plan pulled from stimulus (Read 10969 times) previous topic - next topic

Cash for Clunkers plan pulled from stimulus

Reply #45
I'd be interested in knowing exactly how sending hundreds of thousands of perfectly good vehicles to the crusher, and the energy required to transport them, crush them, sort them, re-refine their materials, and start all over making a new car (in China or Mexico, probably) benefits the environment.

I've often lamented how much of a "throwaway" society we've become, tossing a perfectly good computer in the trash because we got a better one, or sping a slightly damaged car because it's cheaper to buy a new one. Now this kind of behaviour is not only acceptable, but promoted by the government! Not only promoted, but worsened, by making it so those cars cannot be reused for any useful parts, unlike what happens to a wrecked/written off car. I only hope they don't impose that foolishness in Canada, because I'd be pissed off to think my tax dollars were subsidizing somebody else's new car...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #46
As for the program itself, I firmly believe that this is for keeping Detroit working. Maybe that's a sign that they could stand to shrink some. As for the buyers, it's sad, but there are a lot of people with the mentality that they just have to have something new. My aunt and uncle apparently can't stand living without vehicles that are less than two years old. They also have no savings, even though they owned a profitable furniture business for decades. I'm looking forward to supporting them in their retirement years :barf:

Unfortunately, we here are the weird ones in society. We actually get a ic kick out of taking something old and making it work like new, or making it do things it was never designed to do. Or maybe some of us were brought up to loathe waste (or both).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #47
Quote from: Quietleaf;284805
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waj2KrKYTZo&feature=player_embedded

What an unbelievable waste. This car should be resold. To my eyes, this screams that there is overcapacity in the car market.

Notice the V8 Explorer behind it, waiting for its death? With those GT40P heads and intake?
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #48
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;284862
Notice the V8 Explorer behind it, waiting for its death? With those GT40P heads and intake?

I saw that as well.  I wonder if they're required to knife up all the seats and pee on the carpet for good measure, too?

Reply #49
Maybe you should cut through the  a see what is really going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgCCotNv8R0&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.-.com%2Fforum1%2Fmessage852815%2Fpg1&feature=player_embedded

This is about the cash for clunkers and your computer! Now this is Nuts if you did the cash for clunkers I feel for you!

Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #50
Quote from: Ifixyawata;284863
I saw that as well.  I wonder if they're required to knife up all the seats and pee on the carpet for good measure, too?

My understanding is that the entire vehicle has to be crushed or recycled. Nothing gets saved.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #51
Incorrect. The syard can sell parts off the vehicle, just not the engine or drivetrain:

http://www.cars.gov/faq#category-14

Reply #52
Unfortunately, we here are the weird ones in society. We actually get a ic kick out of taking something old and making it work like new, or making it do things it was never designed to do.

Yeah...just like Cubans. :hick:

Reply #53
A caller on the talk radio station (shawn hanity)sp? said he tried to do the cash for clunkers program but the dealership said no.

Reason:  The car must be drivin into the dealershp, not towed.

Reply #54
To all you frugal types out there who want to buy a used car for under $4K - our government is forcing you to spend more.

To all you out there looking for a first car for under $4K - our government is forcing you to spend more.

To all you out there looking for a job and an inexpensive car for under $4K - our government is forcing you to spend more money you don't have.

I sure hope this doesn't have any long-term damaging effects after it's over.  I can't wait till it's over.  Sucks they threw more money at it.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #55
I was seriously thinking of turning in the '93 Grand Marquis, but got nixed when I found it's combined mileage was 19 mpg...

Reply #56
Well, my '92 F150, sitting all neglected and half dead out in my shop might be a candidate...not.

My g/f was after me awhile back to sell it or junk it, then I saw this cash for crackheads..i mean clunkers ordeal, and immediately thought: "what a fuggin crock of shiznit!"

Just typical of Big Guvmint, who throw good money after bad, caring only about rules and not so much about results.

Well, what the hell, there may be 3 less 140 speedos left to go for 500 bucks on ebay....or that uncommon TC steering wheel you saw last week may now be mashed into the size of softball.

shaged up? yeah, it is.

The sad and pathetic thing is, there will ALWAYS be people who are brainwashed into believing that some bullshiznit idea is a good one.

With that note, I expect ever more legislation to be brought against "performance cars" and the enthusiasts that own them.

Let's see junior, your car can hit 120 in the quarter....burns too much gas doing it...pay 1500 extra in taxes or don't drive it...

Where's this utter stupidity going to end? :flame:

So all the energy used to s the usually good vehicles, crush 'em, haul em away to China, and then the raw metal be remade into an arguably cheaper, POS car is going to reduce greenhouse gas? I'll eat my T5 if so.
And I really am not the best educated in economics, but I'm reasonably sure using this as a means to strengthen the economy is not all that great of an idea.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #57
Quote from: ipsd;284864

This is about the cash for clunkers and your computer! Now this is Nuts if you did the cash for clunkers I feel for you!

Yeah.......not so much. Then again, most people WILL click on anything and let software that either says it will do something, or a trojan that says it will do something else, install on their system and phone home as often as it pleases. Even if something WAS installed on the system (Windows only of course, and likely Internet Explorer will be the only one that this works on), it isn't like there are a million and one ways to revert, remove, or deny access to the application. Useless news coverage.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #58
Oh. My. God.

The $4500/$3500 from C4C is taxable as regular income. If you sold the car yourself on the street or just did a standard trade-in it wouldn't be taxable as income.

People are going to be *so* furious.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #59
Quote from: Quietleaf;288605
Oh. My. God.

The $4500/$3500 from C4C is taxable as regular income. If you sold the car yourself on the street or just did a standard trade-in it wouldn't be taxable as income.

People are going to be *so* furious.

Didn't see that one comin'.........:hick:
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII