Skip to main content
Topic: Turbo Engine Swap (Read 8623 times) previous topic - next topic

Turbo Engine Swap

Reply #15
Quote from: crossboss;451082
Turbocoupe5.0--
It amazes me the idiots on here. I am fully aware Bill Elliott raced Fords. Apparently, you have no clue when you say someone is "full of it" Do your research, and you will see that I am correct. Come out to California, and look at my moms car first hand..I will leave it at that, so you can make more of a fool of yourself.

Blah, Blah, Blah, without some proof on your end I ain't believing it happened... I followed Bill from '76 till middish '90s... Bill did sell '87-'88 replica T-Birds all with SO engines, those are dospoogeented but HO Cougars ?? Didn't happen...

You've offered ZERO proof, put up or shut up...

Turbo Engine Swap

Reply #16
Mr Big Mouth--
The Cougars were sold as a limited run, all were XR-7s, had 1987/88 Mustang GT wheels, 5.0 HO engines, and automatic trans missions. I personally have seen 3 examples. Have you ever actually spoke to Bill Elliott about his career, and his dealership? Not likely. You ever ordered cars from him? Again, not likely. I have met/done Television shoots with Bill many times…you? Not likely. Again, your just blowing out smoke. I have shown proof of my moms VIN number. Balls in your court...

Turbo Engine Swap

Reply #17
Quote from: crossboss;451083
Here is the VIN on my moms 1987 Bird: 1FABP62M2HH158XXX. Now you tell me "I'm full of it"

1987 and up 5.0 HO VIN code is E. I'd love to see a Marti report on your mom's car. Only way I'd believe it left the factory with a 5.0 HO......
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Turbo Engine Swap

Reply #18
Quote from: crossboss;451085
Mr Big Mouth--
The Cougars were sold as a limited run, all were XR-7s, had 1987/88 Mustang GT wheels, 5.0 HO engines, and automatic trans missions. I personally have seen 3 examples. Have you ever actually spoke to Bill Elliott about his career, and his dealership? Not likely. You ever ordered cars from him? Again, not likely. I have met/done Television shoots with Bill many times…you? Not likely. Again, your just blowing out smoke. I have shown proof of my moms VIN number. Balls in your court...
http://www.coolcats.net/fox/1988.html
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Turbo Engine Swap

Reply #19
^ nice link
Is there any write ups like that for T-birds?
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Turbo Engine Swap

Reply #20
Quote from: crossboss;451085
Mr Big Mouth--

Sorry I missed the VIN, had been up too long...

Now according to NICB there was never a M engine code for any '87 T-Bird, that'd mean it's a fabrication or been altered after after vehicle was built(and the second isn't legal)...

No the VIN I've listed probably isn't correct, something like one in a 100 chance but that is of no consequence, I picked a mid pack(closest to 500) VIN that matched the #2 as check digit....  The engine codes given are for ANY '87 LX regardless of consecutive six digits...

Turbo Engine Swap

Reply #21
Go to the year 1987, and look for all the classifications on VIN breakdowns, and you will see the engine code for "M" refers to 5.0 HO--special build, as in the case for my moms T-Bird. I was there when she special ordered her car in Aug. of 1986 at Galpin Ford, Sepulveda, Ca. (the largest Ford dealer) from our sales manager/friend (at that time) Virgil Kroug. Delivery was 4 weeks later. Virgil, is the one who also informed me of the "off highway" 5.0 HO Turbo Coupe special build cars. When he mentioned the price of 28K, I almost hit the floor and declined. Remember, 28K in '87/'88 was a lot of dough for a car, especially when you can't register it for street use. Also, those cars did not qualify for any financing, they had to be paid in full before ordering.

Turbo Engine Swap

Reply #22
Well we're still being fed BS, if the consecutive VIN is 158xxx the car would not have been built to about March '87 or approx 3/8 the way through 1987 production... You're claiming it was ordered in Aug 1986 and delivery taken approx Sept... On a build that early, the six consecutive digits isn't going to be higher than maybe 105000-107500, should easily fall in the first 5000 to 7500 T-Birds produced for 1987...

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/1986-2005-vin-order.aspx

Check out page 5 of the 1987 models, 156044 was built 03/87...

Turbo Engine Swap

Reply #23
Wouldn't the proof just be a legitimate picture of the Vin from the dash?
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Turbo Engine Swap

Reply #24
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;451101
Well we're still being fed BS, if the consecutive VIN is 158xxx the car would not have been built to about March '87 or approx 3/8 the way through 1987 production... You're claiming it was ordered in Aug 1986 and delivery taken approx Sept... On a build that early, the six consecutive digits isn't going to be higher than maybe 105000-107500, should easily fall in the first 5000 to 7500 T-Birds produced for 1987...

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/1986-2005-vin-order.aspx

Check out page 5 of the 1987 models, 156044 was built 03/87...

I'm going to have to agree here. My 88 Thunderbird was ordered on June 22, 1987. It was actually built on September 12, 1987. It was car number 104628.....

Quote from: Ramos617;451103
Wouldn't the proof just be a legitimate picture of the Vin from the dash?

Yeah that would prove everything. I would love to see a picture of that car's VIN.

If it was actually possible to order a Thunderbird with a 5.0 HO from the factory don't you think that someone else would have done it? After all these years another one would have turned up somewhere in the US. Another issue would be that the 5.0 HO engine would have had been a special delivery to the Lorain, OH assembly line as no car being built there used that particular engine.  Plus Ford would have had sales literature somewhere that noted the option was available. If someone took delivery of an 87 Thunderbird with a 5.0 HO it sure as hell didn't leave the factory in that configuration......

Turbo Engine Swap

Reply #25
:popcorn:

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Turbo Engine Swap

Reply #26
Sorry, no BS here. My mom DID order the car in late Aug of 1986..The car is still in OEM condition, from the ORIGINAL owner. like I said, ignorance is bliss on here. Just because you guys have never seen a factory 5.0 HO T-Brid you think it never exists. When I go visit my mom (125 miles from me) I WILL take a pic of the dash VIN for all of you to eat crow. Im sure she still has the window sticker/paper work too..In the mean time watch what you say, you just might get what you ask for...

Turbo Engine Swap

Reply #27
Quote from: crossboss;451116
In the mean time watch what you say, you just might get what you ask for...

Pass the popcorn please... :popcorn:

Turbo Engine Swap

Reply #28
Ok, I will have to admit I made an error on the dates. I spoke with my mom about her car. She ordered it in late March of 1987, and took delivery in early May of 1987. Her memory is sharp as a tack..she remembers this because she ordered it just before my parents went on a European cruise, and took delivery when they returned. When I am wrong, I will admit it..ok, you guys can beat me up on that one. However, the VIN number is absolutely correct.

Turbo Engine Swap

Reply #29
"M" engine code in the VIN was used on 86 5.0L HO Mustangs, and also the Mark VII LSC through mid 87, when they still had the py E6SE swirl chamber heads, basically the 200 hp version of the HO, not the 87-up Mustang 225 hp version.  "E" was the VIN code on 87-up 5.0L Mustangs and the later LSCs that got the better heads and matching pistons.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR