Skip to main content
Topic: What fuel pump should I buy? (Read 1831 times) previous topic - next topic

What fuel pump should I buy?

I tried to read up on this from old threads so I don't waste too much of people's time.  Looks like there is some consensus that Walbro is the way to go.  But it also sounds like multiple brands might sell Walbro pumps.

I'm looking at a couple options over on Rock Auto:

Bosch.  I read in a thread that Bosch pumps are actually Walbro pumps.  True?  $52.

Carter.  This one says it is a Walbro.  Also includes sock.  $57.

The other thing is the Carter says it is an OE pump while the Bosch says it is an OE upgrade.  Does this mean anything?

There is also an Airtex wholesaler closeout for $34, but I read a couple negative posts on here about that brand.

Feedback is much appreciated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #1
Ya, Airtex are Noisy as all get out :(

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #2
Bosch gets my vote.  If it's a good enough OEM supplier for Mercedes Benz, It's good enough for me.  ;)

EDIT:  Bosch pumps are NOT a Walbro pump. At least the electric ones anyways.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #3
Got a Walbro 255 pounder. Quiet, gets the job done. Bought it used from a Stang guy on the Corral. That was near 3 years ago.

I wouldn't be scared to buy another.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #4
We only use the 255 on every thing we build. TRIED AND TRUE!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #5
Thanks for the input.  Bear with me because I'm still learning how this works, but the 255 is a high performance pump, right?  On a car like mine that is 100% stock, does 255lph really make any difference?  With a stock fuel pressure regulator, I would imagine that I would just be sending a bunch of extra fuel back to the tank.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
That is true but those pumps seem to last real good. Also never run your tank lower than 1/4 That is a killer for the pump!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #7
Since I need a new hanger anyway, I might just let the fates decide for me:  http://www.amazon.com/Carter-P74623H-Electric-Hanger-Assembly/dp/B000C01BOC/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Make=Mercury%7C56&Model=Cougar%7C720&Year=1987%7C1987&carId=001&n=15684181&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive

According to the Carter website, this hanger assembly comes with either a Bosche or a Walbro pump.  $181 shipped from Amazon, including tax (same price from Rock Auto including shipping and a 5% promotion code).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
Get in touch with hcor and he may have the pickup assembly used.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #9
Definitely go with a walbro pump...durability is second to none...I've had some go from car to car to car and spend years on each car.  Also, having a pump that flows more than stock will make life easier in the future if you decide do ANYTHING to hop it up....stock fuel pump+HO equals running out of fuel by 4000rpm...been there, done that...even if you plan to keep it stone stock forever, the durability is great.  There is a member here that I used to sell parts to & install them and I always tried to talk him into hot-rodding his t-bird a little bit, but he was happy with the minor bolt ons and absolutely didn't want to go any further with it...4-5yrs later...it's got like an HO motor with an explorer intake and all sorts of stuff...

Sometimes plans change.

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #10
Quote from: Aerocoupe;401297
Get in touch with hcor and he may have the pickup assembly used.

Darren

I don't know if he got back into "the game", but a short while after Carlisle 2011 he sold off ALL of his stuff.  I went up there a rummaged through his gold mine... I mean shed - and the rest went either to s or another guy who bought everything he had left after that.
Brian Leavitt
86 TC 5-Speed -- MS2x w/COP | 83lb. Injectors| T3/T4 50 Trim Stage 3 .63AR | Full 3" Exhaust - No Cat | Motorsport FMIC | Ranger Roller |
------------------------Ported E6 | Walbro 255HP | Kirban | Pierburg EBCV @ 20psi | BOV | 120-amp 3G | K&N Cone | 8.8" 3.55 rear |
87 TC 5-Speed -- Cone Filter | Bypassed BCS | Stock Daily Driver
66 Mustang -- Pertronix Ignition Upgrade | Slow-Mobile

Reply #11
Walbro and Bosch are the only pumps that have lasted for me. I won't use anything else.

Beware Ebay sellers of Walbro pumps unless you are sure they are selling authentic parts! There are fakes in abundance out there.

I'm curious, where did you see that the Carter is a Walbro? I am not picking that up.

Reply #12
Quote from: flylear45;401454
Walbro and Bosch are the only pumps that have lasted for me. I won't use anything else.

Beware Ebay sellers of Walbro pumps unless you are sure they are selling authentic parts! There are fakes in abundance out there.

I'm curious, where did you see that the Carter is a Walbro? I am not picking that up.

I started on the Carter website, which bounced me to the Federal Mogul website.  Here is the link: http://www.fme-cat.com/Application.aspx?year=1987&make=MERCURY&model=COUGAR&engine=V8%205.0L%20302CID%20VIN%20F&subm=LS&cat=Air%20and%20Fuel%20Delivery&subcat=Fuel%20Pumps%20and%20Related%20Components.  I was originally looking at the P74103, which the site says is a Walbro.  I ended up getting the assembly with the hanger, P74623H, which is either a Bosch or a Walbro. 

The Rock Auto website is kind of funny.  If you look up the P74103 by part number, it does not say it is a Walbro.  But when I look it up by application (vehicle information), the listing page with all the different pumps says the P74103 comes with a Walbro pump.  The link I sent in my original post was the "info" tab from that listing and, like you noticed, that page also doesn't say anything about Walbro.  But again, the website for Carter/Federal Mogul says that it is a Wallbro, and that should be credible.  Kind of confusing, but I hope that explanation makes sense.

I ended up buying from Amazon, and it was actually sold by Amazon and not a third-party seller, so hopefully I got an authentic part.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #13
We ran an airtek in my buddies 87 bird. It died in about a week. We later swapped to a bosch with no problems as of yet, and it had a walbo stamp on it. I think it was a 155lph ordered as a stock replacement for a 87 5.0 gt.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com