Skip to main content
Topic: GT40 Phenolic Spacer (Read 1555 times) previous topic - next topic

GT40 Phenolic Spacer

I remember reading about this spacer ALOT but now when a have a little money to spend i cant find anything on it.. I was thinking to use the 1 inch one on my tubular intake has anyone done this? any clearance issuses? it looks like it fits... help please
thanks
331 stroker,rebuilt AOD,8.8 rear w/3.73 gears,dual exhaust..wallmart $20 flat back paint job :D

GT40 Phenolic Spacer

Reply #1
I needed a 1/2" spacer to clear the valve covers on my GT-40.  Longer bolts are required with any spacer.

GT40 Phenolic Spacer

Reply #2
I use one for my Cobra intake,but only to clear my valve covers.For performance,I never have noticed any difference.Not worth buying unless you need clearance.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

GT40 Phenolic Spacer

Reply #3
thanks vinnie thats exactly what i needed to hear
331 stroker,rebuilt AOD,8.8 rear w/3.73 gears,dual exhaust..wallmart $20 flat back paint job :D

GT40 Phenolic Spacer

Reply #4
Vinnie is right but with one exception. If you plan on drag racing they make it easier to ice down the intake as long as the egr hole in the spacer is blocked off. The spacer does isolate the upper from the lower heat but the upper will still get heat soaked pretty quick on the street unless its cold outside.

I run a 5/8 (I think, lol...) spacer with my Cobra intake for clearance between the upper plenum vacuum tee and the driver side valve cover.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

GT40 Phenolic Spacer

Reply #5
Quote from: Dogcharmer;286233
The spacer does isolate the upper from the lower heat but the upper will still get heat soaked pretty quick on the street unless its cold outside.

Tubular intake ftw :) I keep forgetting that and the couple pounds of weight difference is why I got my tubular intake to begin with. That and the lower was ported by tmoss.

I'll be installing a 3/8" (have a 1" also but too tall) that I have when I put the other intake on. They were both included for no additional cost with intakes I purchased. I figure why not, other than the reports of it causing problems with cracked upper intakes where it mates to the lower. I highly doubt they change a thing or perhaps do WORSE due to double the mating surfaces to be possibly offset or have gaskets hanging out into the runners. Ideally, this isn't an issue though.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

GT40 Phenolic Spacer

Reply #6
If you have one already,and taller than stock valve covers,I think they are fine,but I wouldn't spend a penny on one for any other reason.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

GT40 Phenolic Spacer

Reply #7
the longer the runners (as when you add a spacer) the more torque the engine will make. When my dyno thrash day began at AFM my bird had a 1" spacer, Danny told me to lose it as the intake will not perform as good as with just the stock Cobra. It could not pull enough air through the long runners to make any decent HP numbers. I obliged and gained 6 hp, just from taking it out. The engine did lose 10 lb/tq across the board, which was quite a bit, but it's not a truck motor....so I thought I was fine. For a street car that will rarely see above 5500 rpm, it would be fine, and yes will clear the hood as long as you do not have the A/C hose on top the intake.

GT40 Phenolic Spacer

Reply #8
Do you have the graphs to show where the crossover happened?
1988 Thunderbird Sport

GT40 Phenolic Spacer

Reply #9
Quote from: 86T-bird;285992
I needed a 1/2" spacer to clear the valve covers on my GT-40.  Longer bolts are required with any spacer.

Same reason I have one. I needed it to clear the FMS finned "COBRA" valve covers.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

GT40 Phenolic Spacer

Reply #10
Quote from: thunderjet302;286380
Same reason I have one. I needed it to clear the FMS finned "COBRA" valve covers.

Theeese? ,i guess i'll be needing that spacer

GT40 Phenolic Spacer

Reply #11
I also have COBRA valve covers as well,but mine aren't black,they're polished.

GT40 Phenolic Spacer

Reply #12
Quote from: 5.0Rrrougar;286449
Theeese? ,i guess i'll be needing that spacer

Yep those are the ones I have.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.