Skip to main content
Topic: Air temp sensor? (Read 1040 times) previous topic - next topic

Air temp sensor?

A couple months ago I replaced my AOD and converter. Then I had a local ler shop put new cat.converters on. Now when my car is cold it bucks and misses until it warms up but it ran fine with open exhaust. I replaced the following parts but it still bucks and misses when cold.
New Spark plugs, wires, map sensor, ignition mod., MSD cap, MSD rotor, and MSD coil.
Do ya'll thank it needs a air temp sensor, or maybe a temp. sensor? Or do ya'll think that the converters are maybe too small or just wrong for the car. I dont know what kind they are but they're 2".
Thanks guys.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Air temp sensor?

Reply #1
run codes first. That way your not just throwing away money. It could be quite a few things that all add up into your problem, or something just might not be plugged in.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Air temp sensor?

Reply #2
I installed a new air temp, and engine temp sensors. It runs better when its cold but it still isnt right. I guess I'll try to have my freind pull codes. I think its the catyltic converters. I've driven cars with clogged converters before and it feel just like they're clogged untill they heat up. which makes no sense to me because they're new. I was also thinking it might be O2 sensers or the ignation mod. I got maybe defected.
Im building an HO motor with GT40 heads for it and I want to get the car fixed before I install the engine. The engine should be finished by dec. I'll be sure to make a build thread.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Air temp sensor?

Reply #3
Its fixed. The timing was retarded 8*. I set the timing at 12* and the bucking is gone.

Air temp sensor?

Reply #4
So, you spent all that money on parts BEFORE you ran codes and checked timing??

Glad you got it sorted, but next time diagnose, don't throw parts at it.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Air temp sensor?

Reply #5
The parts made the car run better but the timing is what did the trick. So its not like I just throw away money the parts needed to be replaced anyway. And Im not the sharpest tool in the shad but I dont beleave that running codes is going to tell you that your timing is retarded a couple degrees. Im sure that it was a combo of a few bad parts.

Air temp sensor?

Reply #6
Quote from: Bruce M;282959
And Im not the sharpest tool in the shad but I dont beleave that running codes is going to tell you that your timing is retarded a couple degrees. Im sure that it was a combo of a few bad parts.

No it won't tell you diddly about the timing, but if there were no code(s) you could have looked elsewhere... Replacing a part that isn't causing a code, 99.9% of the time won't make one run better...

Air temp sensor?

Reply #7
I just had to set mine from 12 to 9 to cure some issues.

Air temp sensor?

Reply #8
I guess I should be more detailed. The only parts I replace after it started bucking and missing was the air temp, and coolant temp sensers (total $ spent $28). I listed the other parts so that you'll would know that they where most likely not the problem. I replaced them months ago when I tuned it up. I thought that the air temp and coolant temp where commin sense being that it acted up when cold.

Air temp sensor?

Reply #9
Timing is wierd in these cars after i replaced my engine I had to set my timing to about 14* btdc to get it to run right on regular 87 octane!
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Air temp sensor?

Reply #10
Quote from: sarjxxx;286396
Timing is wierd in these cars after i replaced my engine I had to set my timing to about 14* btdc to get it to run right on regular 87 octane!

Keep in mind that many balancers aren't labeled properly. Old stock balancers wear out as well and the markings can get off.
1988 Thunderbird Sport