Skip to main content
Topic: Turbo motor differences?? (Read 970 times) previous topic - next topic

Turbo motor differences??

So Im taking my 87 TC's turbo out to put in my 88 Cougar LS and oops it has a cracked block. So a buddy gave me a worn out turbo motor he had lying around his shop. Its an older engine, has a garrett on it so Im thinking 84-86. My engine had a roller cam, this one doesnt. Are there any other major internal differences?

Reply #1
NOPE!!!! Other than the oil pan has a slightly different bolt pattern and pan gasket. The rear cap is also different for the different oil pan!!
:hick::hick:
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #2
I think some of the sensors are different as well right?
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #3
Quote from: Soul;400553
I think some of the sensors are different as well right?

Not really a engine difference...

Since new gaskets would no doubt be a good move, I'd strip it down to the short block and accessorize it as the '87 - '88 configuration...

Reply #4
Quote from: Eliminator;400549
So Im taking my 87 TC's turbo out to put in my 88 Cougar LS and oops it has a cracked block. So a buddy gave me a worn out turbo motor he had lying around his shop. Its an older engine, has a garrett on it so Im thinking 84-86. My engine had a roller cam, this one doesnt. Are there any other major internal differences?

None of the turbo motors had a roller cam in stock form. That was most likely swapped in at some point, and is probably the Ranger cam.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #5
BUT just for the record i have to say with great certainty i have yet to see a 2.3 that did not have a cam change at one point or another. They eat cams like crazy in NON ROLLER CONFIGURATION. True no 2.3 Turbo ever came with a roller cam
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #6
With regular oil changes the slider cams aren't that bad... Out of 25-30 4cyl Stangs and Turbo Coupes combined, I've replaced maybe three and only one in a TC(though I have a 104K mi parts TC with a pretty good clatter and the cam in the orig engine in my now 5.0 TC was noisy)...

In '93 I bought a '87 4cyl Stang that obviously had never been into, sold it at 192K mi, still ran smooth...