Skip to main content
Topic: Inner bearings for a 5 lug conversion (Read 2769 times) previous topic - next topic

Inner bearings for a 5 lug conversion

Ok, Im using the front suspension from my 87 Turbo coupe on my 88 LS BUT Im (trying) doing a 5 lug conversion. I have most of the info down. Im just going to buy Mark VII front rotors, BUT which inner bearing do I use, the one for the Thunderbird spindle or the the Mark 7 rotor?... havent found any info that says it directly. im not planning on getting an SN95 anything as I have a complete car.(TC)
Also, HOW do I convert my 87 TC's rear disc into a 5 lug??? it gets VERY confusing when reading through all the different ways to just get a swap these axles in and you have to do this......etc

Thanx again

PS Someone do a sticky for each type for those of us not good at this stuff... 4 to 5 Lug conversions for Dummies LOL

Reply #2
as always Eric, youre the bomb.. (I did look at your sight but wasnt sure)

Reply #3
Yep, you can reuse your outers as they're the same, but the inners are specific to the spindle/rotor combo.

For your 5-lug rear conversion...easy way:
- 1994-98 Mustang axle shafts (7.5" or 8.8")
- 1994-98 (or 1999-2004) Mustang rotors, calipers, pads, brackets
- Remove your brakes and axle shafts, grind off current anti-moan brace, install Mustang bolt-on anti-moan brace, install Mustang rear brakes and axle shafts
- Reconnect existing parking brake cables

You would be going from vented to solid discs this way, but it's definitely the simplest solution that I can think of.

Reply #4
Awesome, I stand by my earlier statemement.

Reply #5
Or if memory serves me right you can use all of the TC rear brakes, 94-98 SN-95 (V6 or V8) rear axles, and these rotors:

http://discbrakesrus.com/make/ford/brakerotorsrear.htm

Scroll down and you will see a header with just "Rotors" and under is are brand new rotors redrilled for the five lug pattern and opened up for the SN-95 axle hub as it is larger than the TC axle hub.  The price is for a pair of rotors not just one.

They are a little more expensive than a stock TC rear rotor but you do not have to change the calipers, caliper brackets, anti-moan brackets and brake lines (soft to hard lines and fittings).  Just another option.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #6
Is this the correct ones??

1994-04 Except Cobra GT rear 10.5 inch rotor (Made in USA Rotor) (Each) (Rear wheels)  REAR WHEEL $41.50
Mike

Reply #7
I was planning the 5 lug swap on my '88 TC and was told the TC spindles take the same rotors and bearings as a fox Mustang GT.I did some number checking on NAPA and Auto Zone sites and this seems to be true.If you are using a TC suspension(spindles) couldn't you just buy 5 lug rotors for a fox GT from cj pony parts or one of the other Mustang vendors? Seems like the easy way out.Am I correct on this?

Reply #8
Donuts,

The TC and Mustang 11" front rotors are essentially the same (the TC has the exciter ring for the ABS system). So yes, those inner bearings will be identical. The same can be said for the Mark VII in 5-lug. Mark VII rotors can be bought with or without the exciter ring, so you can save a little weight if you get a pair without.

Reply #9
Thanks for verifying that,I had hoped to try it this spring.

Reply #10
Mike,

Sorry I did not get back with you.  It would be the ones just below those.  Call them to verify that this will work.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #11
The Turbo Coupe rear rotors are 10"...the ones listed on that site are 10.25". Not sure if they would be a direct interchange...

Reply #12
If you've got a hard-on for vented rear rotors like I do, you can use Mark VII/SVO rear brakes...may not be as easy of a swap as the later mustang stuff and it may not be cheaper either...

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads