Skip to main content
Topic: Cougar LS Turbo psi question.. (Read 1670 times) previous topic - next topic

Cougar LS Turbo psi question..

So I FINALLY have started my Cougar build. Swapping all the essentials of my 87 Turbo coupe into my 88 LS body. The engine needs an overhaul which Ill be doing. My bud asked me a question.. whats the most PSI the standard (smaller) turbo on my 87 can handle? We have a new one in the box so I can save some moola but using it and not buying or upgrading.. Thanx, any other ideas... shoot me a message!!

Reply #1
Now that looks like a project.....good luck with it.

Travis

Reply #2
You really don't want to push the IHI turbos past about 18psi.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #3
I love that color, what is that ... Cinnabar??
Mike

Reply #4
Thanx Chuck, thats what I thought. And I think its Cinnabar. I have to double check. You can eat off the floor in the rear seat. Was owned by an old woman who blew the engine (3.8) so her son took out the drivetrain and never got around to fixing it. So I picked it up cheap. The brown interior is spotless to

Reply #5
About 18 psi as chuck said before the ihi's start getting overspun
Best money you can spend is in a 1035 felpro headgasket,arp studs,and a turbo upgrade
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #6
I had a brand new turbo, built by evergreen turbo, blow up after 6 months of 18#. If you want it to last turn it down to 16# or get a T3/T4 Garret.

Reply #7
Try to find a airesearch/garrett t3 turbo. They are nice. I agree with Sleeper T-bird 87. head studs and that gasket are a must if you want more boost.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

Reply #8
The 1035 felpro is great.  Ran one for 7 years and lots of boost from my t3 turbo.
I dont think u need head studs.  I used new arp head bolts.  It worked fine.  Went 12.96 in my fat xr7

Travis

Reply #9
Quote from: Eliminator;378728
Thanx Chuck, thats what I thought. And I think its Cinnabar. I have to double check. You can eat off the floor in the rear seat. Was owned by an old woman who blew the engine (3.8) so her son took out the drivetrain and never got around to fixing it. So I picked it up cheap. The brown interior is spotless to

You lucky dog, right place-right time.  Congrats.  More pics when you get time.
Mike