Skip to main content
Topic: 302 Swap (Read 1759 times) previous topic - next topic

302 Swap

Ok I have a 90 Bronco II and a 88 T-bird with a 302 EFI
I'm sorry would hurt the bird for nothing but the insid is trashed and the Gas Tank and rear quarter panels are missing.. I know a lot of people have done the truck or Mustang 302 swap. but I like the Idea of doing the Bird engine It is the dual exhaust Lx with the same gears as the bronco. I am going to retain the FI should fit under the hood great with a 2" Body lift. to clear the trans and Runners.. I will take pics when I get started ..Wish me lots of luck and good drawings on the electrical....

302 Swap

Reply #1
best of luck with the project! are you going to put the 302 in stock or are ya gunna give her some more power? iv got a buddy with some ported 351 heads that will fit on that motor. one head is cracked but it wount be hard to get them welded. just cracked in the side of the port for cyl. #8 got a bit to happy when porting them. anyway, im sure he would let them go real cheep.

302 Swap

Reply #2
I really think the V-8 will provide enough Hp over the 2.9 V-6 that was in there. and the light weight of the BII will still give me good mileage.. The T-bird was supposed to git about 18-19 so the bronco will have a great sound and power to do the things I want to do.. BUT , If all the dudes pick on me because of the V-8 I might have to add a little nirto. compression will be low enough to do that..

302 Swap

Reply #3
Hmmm!

1990 Bronco II 2.9L 140hp 170ft-lbs
1988 Thunderbird 5.0L 155hp 265ft-lbs

Not a big difference in hp but you'll notice a difference with the torque. I'm not sure I would take on that swap without some added hp.

302 Swap

Reply #4
I know pretty chincy for a V-8 155 hp is that at 2500 RPM? Thats what my 4 clylinder had..  But Gas is going back up after the election past $3.00 a gallon.. I know I could at least do the HO swap but thats for a later time...

302 Swap

Reply #5
go to  http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/  There is a guy on there who has done the BII 5.0L swap. Also there is alot of Explorer First gen info too.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout: