Skip to main content
Topic: 1987-1988 Thunderbird base, LX, Sport, or Cougar LS (Read 1125 times) previous topic - next topic

1987-1988 Thunderbird base, LX, Sport, or Cougar LS

So I'm kinda looking for an 87-88 Thunderbird base, LX, Sport, or Cougar LS. I don't care what engine, color, options, etc. Not even picky about rust or mileage. All I really care is if the body side moldings are straight, the belt moldings are straight, and the dash parts are good. Honestly I mostly want to buy the car and strip it for spare parts. So in other words a car that isn't in the greatest of shape that I can buy cheap and then s the shell.

That is unless I can find all the stuff I want as spare parts without buying a whole car, which is becoming unlikely.

And cheap means less than $1000, preferably a lot less :mullet:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
It's a little far away ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
It's not getting any easier.....

https://cargraph.com/usa/ford/thunderbird/1988
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
Quote from: V8Demon;458634
It's not getting any easier.....

https://cargraph.com/usa/ford/thunderbird/1988

I think the big issue is no one is selling these cars. Not so much that the price is going up but that they are just hard to find in general.

Reply #5
55 Chevys belairs and roadrunners didnt use to be worth much till they became rare either.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
Quote from: Haystack;458640
55 Chevys belairs and roadrunners didnt use to be worth much till they became rare either.

I really don't see Fox Thunderbirds becoming as expensive as other "rare" cars. I'm basing this on the value of other generations of Thunderbirds. The only valuable Thunderbirds are 55 to 57 cars, 58 to 66 convertibles, or 62 to 63 cars powered by M code 390ci 6bbl engines. Every other Thunderbird produced in decent condition can be had for less than $20k. Making them cheap as far as old cars go.

Reply #7
People never thought a 78 Oldsmobile would be worth anything either.  I saw a near mint 2 door with a 403 with a disgusting whouse red interior for $12k recently.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #8
Quote from: Haystack;458640
Those were hot rodded & raced from day one so have a provenance, other than Turbo Coupes fox T-Birds were never considered hot rod material... At least by general public and that's what it takes to make most  "late" models valuable...

The most valuable examples will be pristine originals, definitely not some hacked up, hot rodded version... There can be exceptions but that's maybe a .001% chance...

Reply #9
I agree, id rather they stayed cheap, and I know they will never have the following of the mustang. But there were a few tbirds raced and sone rare options. The car market is very fickle.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #10
Quote from: V8Demon;458647
People never thought a 78 Oldsmobile would be worth anything either.  I saw a near mint 2 door with a 403 with a disgusting whouse red interior for $12k recently.

That's still within the cheap end as far as antique/vintage/classic cars go. Easily affordable.

Reply #11
Double post!

Reply #12
Pm incoming.  I may have a lead for you.

Reply #13
Replied

Reply #14
Still looking.