Skip to main content
Topic: Moving update! (Read 2538 times) previous topic - next topic

Moving update!

I'm bored sitting around (well, watching the Olympics too) in temporary lodging so I figured I'd make a thread.

I dropped the Cougar and Suburban off in Ohio about a month ago.  I had never really towed much but the Suburban did a great job and even averaged 14.5 mpg.

We just got back from dropping off all of our household goods in storage in Ohio and my son and I will he moving out there permanently on Friday while my wife goes off for training until December.  Our house won't be ready until the end of August so we will just have to live in a hotel until then.

Everything worked out with our house building plan.  Ultimately, we could just get more house for the money and get what we wanted by building vs buying, renting, or living on base again.  Here are some pics of the building process.

Sorry to bore with so many pictures, I'm just super excited about having enough garage space to do the stuff I want to now.  My wife drives a Volt and has had control of our current one car garage so she can charge it daily.  Now she will have her own garage stall (we had a 240 volt outlet installed in it too) and the other two stalls are mine!
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Moving update!

Reply #1
I will also add that moving is hard!  The Air Force usually moves us but that wasn't going to be an option this time due to time constraints. 

We started packing about two months ago and we marked out the dimensions of the moving truck in our front room.  After realizing a 15' truck wasn't going to work, we decided a 20' truck should be more than enough.  Turns out you always have more stuff than you think.  We packed the truck full and still had stuff left over that didn't fit.  We left most of it on the curb for free or trash.  I guess we'll just get a new lawnmower when we get there, lol.

We started loading the truck at 10 am Wednesday morning and didn't get done with loading and weighing it until 1am.  We also had to load the 4runner in tthe dark.  We started the drive to Ohio Thursday morning at 7 am and didn't get there until midnight.  Friday morning we started unloading the truck into storage at 7 am and got done around noon at which point we got our rental car and drove back to Nebraska, getting here around midnight.

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi

Moving update!

Reply #2
Congratulations on the new home it looks beautiful and thank you very much for defending our country!

Moving update!

Reply #3
Thanks.  I'll pass the thanks on to my wife who does the defending.  :)

Moving update!

Reply #4
Sweet, park the suburban outside and buy another cougar ;).
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Moving update!

Reply #5
I will probably park the Suburban outside and get another car.  My wife has really wanted another Camaro for quite a few years as we sold all of ours whem she joined the military 8 years ago.  I think we are going to get another IROC or maybe another LS1 car.

The Cougar is going to be down for a while for a full exterior and suspension redo.

Moving update!

Reply #6
House is looking good. :)

You can never have too big of a garage. I had a 22'x22' 2.5 car garage built 4 years ago. I wish I would have gone with a 3.5 car. I'm already trying to figure out how to add on.....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Moving update!

Reply #7
Lol you definately had that moving truck stuffed full!  Congrats on the new home that must be very exciting.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Moving update!

Reply #8
Congrats on the new home

Moving update!

Reply #9
Thanks guys.  We are pretty excited about visiting new places as we've never lived this far east.  I'm a Chicago native so it'll be nice to only be 5 hours from there too.

We sacrificed some interior upgrades to go with the three car garage but we figured we should get all the structural options we want like the three car and fireplace and we can worry about upgrading some of the interior later.  I'm already eyeballing the area behind third garage stall to maybe knock the (new!) back wall out and add a small shop.  Not sure if that will happen though as we will only be living in the house for four years.

Moving update!

Reply #10
Wow, that's awesome man! Glad you could make that happen. I just purchased a house up in Vancouver, but I'm only getting an additional 100sq ft of garage space over the old house! (bigger house, more land though)
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Moving update!

Reply #11
Congrats!  That's Vancouver, WA not Vancouver, BC, right?  Lol!  I'm so ready for more garage space.