Skip to main content
Topic: Food for Thought (Read 3170 times) previous topic - next topic

Food for Thought

It's very possible that right now, as you read this, Ford is working on a new Cougar prototype, based on the '05 Mustang, to be unveiled at an auto show early next year (Detroit? L.A.? Chicago?).

It's also very possible that TLC is filming the progress, just as the did for the GT and Mustang, for a future edition of "Rides".

Could just happen. Ya never know.

Re: Food for Thought

Reply #1
My fiance is  after the '05 Mustang now.. but she says that she'd lust after a Cougar based on it even more so.

Reply #2
Are u talking about this picture i posted months ago on old forum?

I hope so... Cuz Actual Cougar Suck!

Reply #3
Wasn't that just photoshopped? I hope ford does make the cougar into a REAL car again.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #4
I think he knows something we don't....?

Reply #5
Quote from: Ifixyawata
I think he knows something we don't....?

Not at all...just a hunch...a feeling that something's going on....

Reply #6
i think it would be an awsome car. i also think it would flop like the marauder. maby not. as specially if it turns out anything like the pic above although its probly too much like the stang. all i would hope is that they dont go and do what they did with the new tbirds. there was so much potential there and they just dropped the ball. they had so many great ideas. oh well
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #7
If it's based on the new 'Stang it's gonna be just like it, right?  Only more expensive. :roleyes: I fear it will catch the "Marauder Syndrome" as shame302, said if it's gonna be an expensive-d up Stang.

[Off Topic]
On the subject of new T-birds, I'm sure you all saw the thread about 'em earlier that showed a pic of a one-off Saleen T-bird.  Specs stated it was around 340 horses or so. Too bad they never made it, but I hear all the parts are available. [/Off Topic]

Reply #8
Quote from: shame302
i think it would be an awsome car. i also think it would flop like the marauder.

The Marauder had a lot of problems. Like how 302hp would move a heavy (4500 lb.) car. Or how Ford overcharged for it ($35,000 US for a car built on a 1978 platform---yes, similar to Fox Mustangs but at least the Mustang was way faster for the money). Or how it really wasn't that much differentiated from its cheaper Grand Marquis cousins. Or how most really old people are just not into hot rods for their daily driver.

The proposed Cougar would almost assuredly be built off the Mustang. Mustang = parts. Tell me how this would not be a success. We already know the pricing structure for the Mustang---entry level V6 just under $20G. Ttherefore the Cougar wouldn't be that much more. Which means I could actually afford one...a first for my lifetime.

What we have to get used to is the idea that the Cougar name could disappear just as quickly as it would reappear. Ford seems to be intent on shorter life cycles for their reincarnated vehicles. Look at the New Edge Cougars: 4 years and out. The Ford GT, Thunderbird, etc. are all the same way--designed with a finite product cycle. So it could be with another new Cougar. The days of depending on your car's nameplate to be there next model year are completely over. Still, if it's a kick-ass car, I'll take 4 years over nothing. Hell, I'll take 1 year over nothing!

Reply #9
My thoughts are if they are going to stick the Cougar nameplate on something else, it should be a bit more refined platform.

The Mustang platform is a derivative of the Jaguar/Lincoln LS that has been "made more affordable" (ie no IRS or SLA front suspension).  I think the Cougar whould eb based on this somewhat, but NOT turned into the lump that was the most recent TBird.  Give it similar powerplants to the Mustang and even share some of the interior treatments, even share some sheet-metal where possible.  They should also keep the Cobra a live axle car since people just want to drag race the ed things anyway....and stop having to deal with all the wheel-hop and axle snapping problems.
A slightly detuned Cobra motor in a new XR-7 with the independent suspension would be a nice line topper.  You could still have nicely equipped "lower" models that would have better road manners than a Mustang.  It might give up some performance in weight, and would not be the drag platform a Mustang could be, but it would be a nice car, albeit slightly more expensive than the Mustang...but even the originals were.  They would be less "boy-racer" and more of an "enthusiast's" car

However, it would then wind up a car caught between identites and loyalites again, like most Mercury stuff is.  The top Cougar "could not" be alllowed to best a Mustang, and as a 2+2, or a sedan, it might clash with the front-drive people-movers.  i still think if it was built right and marketed right it could compete with some of the sports sedans.

Which is why for now, I will build my own cars..at least that way I can get what I want.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #10
that is a sweet pic.  i remeber that sum1 posted it on the old board, but it was a photoshopped mustang.  anyways i would love to see the Cougar come back out, and with a V-8 option.  this is just my opinion, but i could also see the car being a lil more priceir than some of you would suspect.

the mustang was sopposed to go on sale sept 30, but didnt end up arriving at dealerships till oct 25.  reasons were, they had to heavily work on the frame.  with 300 hp, more than half of the test cars ended up twisting the frame.  or sumthing, i cant rememebr.  so they had to re-design some of the frame, and make the car a little lighter than what they planned to do.

but as i said, my opinion, with a heavier car, and hopefully the 3v 4.6 liter, they MIGHT have to do some more work?  just pondering about it thats all.

anybody hear about the new 427 car coming out?

Reply #11
I think the 427 was sped, but they're making the new Fusion (lost out on the Futura name) to mimic the styling. I really couldn't ever see them making a RWD 427 V10 sedan anyway. Something like that just wouldn't sell.

Reply #12
no, a RWD 427 V10 sedan may not sell, but a mid-350-horse V8 RWD sedan with good styling at a reasonable price would - just ask Chrysler about how its 300C is selling.

I think a Mustang-based Cougar is a good idea, especially since the F-cars are gone. Right now the Mustang has the pony car market to itself, and a platform mate certainly wouldn't overcrowd that market. I think Ford could have a perfect 1-2 hit with the Mustang. Give retro seekers the '68 inspired Mustang while building a thoroughly modern styled Cougar on the same platform for those who don't remember (or care for) the '68. Give it the same drivetrains as the Mustang as well - don't dumb it down. And keep it priced similarly to the Mustang.

Think about it. You could have two completely different cars, aimed at two completely different markets, built on one platform and using one set of hardware. You'd attract the retro-fans and the futurephiles with one platform. It would be cost-effective due to the parts sharing. And without the Camaro or Firebird to compete with, the two vehicles could own the market for years. The aftermarket would have a heyday as mechanical bits would interchange between the two cars, virtually doubling the aftermarket's target audience. And maybe, just maybe, MM&FF magazine would acknowledge the waterfall grille for once...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #13
On the subject of Marauders... lotta people don't know that a Crown Vic Sport can walk away from a Marauder at the starting line.  The Marauder can barely even spin the tires off the line.  Mostly all due to the fact that the 32v 4.6 gets most of it's peak power at the upper RPM range.  If you ask me, I'd take a Crown Vic sport over a Marauder any day, if for no other reason than the price tag.

Reply #14
There is a guy around here with an 11 sec Marauder! But I dont know him personally :dunno:

Anyways the only thing I can find on the topic is the 03 mercury messenger concept becoming the new cougar if it were to ever happen. I dont really like the 2 seater design but I guess with a few mods to the front end it could make an alright cougar.

1987 cougar XR7 347 stroker FRP BOSS block 328rwhp 10.89 1/4mile @126mph ..so far..

2005 F150 5.4 vortec supercharged @15psi water methenol injected 450rwhp 14.0@98mph on 22's